• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Water Pump run off Wall Outlet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time4aMassiveOC

heya guys, i was thinking. i dont want to have to deal with running a water pump with my CPU powersupply. new computers running sli and dual cores stress the powersupplies as is.

so i was wondering where i could get pumps that would work for sub zero applications that plug into the wall outlets?

does anyone else have any experience in this area? ive never water cooled so i dont know anything about pumps.

Back in the days when watercooling was still something brand new, AC punmps was the only option. Check out pumps made for water circulation in aquariums, or pond pumps. These are designed for 24/7 load for years.

Eheim is one well known quality pump, but many others do work.

MoreGooder said:
Don't overlook the Danner Mag 3 or 5.

I was going to recomend this too. I was considering w/c a few years ago and I was planning on getting a Danner Mag 3, I remember somewhere something said about these having much better performance for their GPH, higher pressure or something? Don't quote me on it, but I THINK that is the case.

Also back then I remember something about this pump leaking slightly, here is something about this pump: http://www.wc101.com/reviews/danner/

That is what I was talking about above, it's head is relatively high for its GPH, 10.5 ft. and I guess the eheim is only around 6?

I've been using an Eheim 1048 and I love it. Very reliable and quiet. If you have room for a bigger pump and want more flow, then step up to the Eheim 1250.

I wouldn't recommend going straight from Air to Waterchilling. If you really want pump pressure, just buy a pair of Eheims and put them in series, they put less heat into your loop and are cheaper than the Iwaki's.

Maviryk said:
I wouldn't recommend going straight from Air to Waterchilling.

as long as aircooling keeps up in proportion to watercooling for such a drasticly lower price. i doubt ill ever want to do just plain jane water. why buy all the stuff for water just to get a few C lower. id much rather spend just as much or just a little more and go sub zero.

Just use a transformer to run a DC pump... most AC pumps aren't designed to be stopped/started frequently, plus the DC pumps were designed with WC'ing in mind. I am so glad that I made the switch from my Hydor L30 (slightly more power than an Eheim 1250) to a Swiftech MCP600. The L30 used to have a rough time starting, was louder, and didn't have the power the MCP600 does.

the thing with WCing is about how much heat it can dissiapte...yes our temps are only about 10c cooler, but were also running serious voltage and high freqs which air can't do without hitting much much higher and unstable temps.

I would be impressed if someone was running 1.5v and 2.5ghz on a 165 opteron with strait air...if they are they're probably def from the fan noise.

the difference from idle to load with cranked up voltage with highend water vs high end air is signifigant. with water done correctly the load temps are much closer to idle temps which allows you to crank the voltage more comfortably. less temp fluctuation+lower load temps= higher stable overclocks and less wear and tear on the processor

and when you add it all up air aint cheap either. you got your cases 50-150$, highend case fans 20-150$ high end heatsinks 35-65$ thermal grease AS5 10-20$ a possible fan controller...which i dont know the prices on

but in the end, you can set up a pretty cheap aircooling setup (around 65$ not including the case) and get a decent overclock with decent temps in comparison to high end water prices.

Back