• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black Buildup on Copper: Looking for Cleaning Solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobxMcCarthy

Hi, I already asked this in a different thread, but I'm just checking back again in a more direct manner.

Would anyone know how to clean black buildup off of a copper waterblock. The main issue is that I'm assuming it's in my radiator as well. Scrubbing gets it off of the block, but not in the grooved. And the radiator will be impossible to clean using this method.

So, does anyone know something that I can let the radiator soak in for a while that will clean the internals of this black goop when flushed?

I was thinking leaving vineager in it overnight but haven't yet.

I've heard vinegar works. You could also try just some kind of common, household copper cleaner; but I've never tried either method...

gvblake22 said:
You could also try just some kind of common, household copper cleaner

Copper cleaner will leave a chemical residue behind that will not be a posative addition to whatever future loops the radiator is used in.

Vinager is the way to go. Ketchup is also a possability, for the waterblock not the radiator. ;)

sunrunner20 said:
Copper cleaner will leave a chemical residue behind that will not be a posative addition to whatever future loops the radiator is used in.

Vinager is the way to go. Ketchup is also a possability, for the waterblock not the radiator. ;)
Eh, true. Good thinkin' :bang head

Back