• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference between thermchill PA120.2/BIP2 and CPU blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FallenCow

Registered
I've been doing a lot of research and I'm starting to get into watercooling, so here are some questions before I put in an order for everything. I'll be cooling an opteron 146 OCed to 2.8-3.0ghz and a lightly overclocked 7800 gt. I'm trying to find a happy medium between performance/price/noise.

-What is the difference in performance between the Thermochill PA120.2 and the Black Ice Pro 2 (temperature wise)? I'm trying to decide if the Thermochill is worth 2+ times the price of the BIP2. I'll be cooling the rad w/ 2 panaflo H1s (pulling about 89 cfm at most) and I'll be undervolting them half the time when I'm not gaming. I know the value of performance is subjective to people but i'd like to hear people's option anyway about which rad to get considering price/performance.

-Storm or Apogee or Aquaextreme mp-05 extreme? IS there a real world performance difference between the the Storm and Apogee? I hear conflicting things. According to the Systemcooling review there was no realworld difference. I'm also concerned about the quality of the apogee. I'd like to hear people's opinion about the price/performance ratio of these blocks.

I apologize for the long post... best way I could word everything.
Here's the rest of my planned setup:
Lian Li 1200B
Maze 4
DD D5 pump
Fillport/t-line
1/2" tubing

FallenCow said:
I've been doing a lot of research and I'm starting to get into watercooling, so here are some questions before I put in an order for everything. I'll be cooling an opteron 146 OCed to 2.8-3.0ghz and a lightly overclocked 7800 gt. I'm trying to find a happy medium between performance/price/noise.

-What is the difference in performance between the Thermochill PA120.2 and the Black Ice Pro 2 (temperature wise)? I'm trying to decide if the Thermochill is worth 2+ times the price of the BIP2. I'll be cooling the rad w/ 2 panaflo H1s (pulling about 89 cfm at most) and I'll be undervolting them half the time when I'm not gaming. I know the value of performance is subjective to people but i'd like to hear people's option anyway about which rad to get considering price/performance.

-Storm or Apogee or Aquaextreme mp-05 extreme? IS there a real world performance difference between the the Storm and Apogee? I hear conflicting things. According to the Systemcooling review there was no realworld difference. I'm also concerned about the quality of the apogee. I'd like to hear people's opinion about the price/performance ratio of these blocks.

I apologize for the long post... best way I could word everything.
Here's the rest of my planned setup:
Lian Li 1200B
Maze 4
DD D5 pump
Fillport/t-line
1/2" tubing

1. I would think a couple degrees celsius. But iuts not worth the extra cash IMO.

2. Storm>mp-05>apogee. There is a real world difference, when swiftech was testing the apogee they were testing at a flow that gave near the best performance for the apogee and not optimum for the storm which is why they seem to match each other.

What is the optimum flow for the storm?
Also, what if I were to move up to say 110+ cfm fans in the future; what would the difference be between the two rad? I'm trying to decide between saving money or keeping an eye toward future-proofing.

Back