• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Loop Direction

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterG

Well the people at Danger Den lied when they told me the water flows in the top and out the side on the D5. This changes my configuration around a bit and I wasn't expecting the pump to be so big. So now it seems that I need to run Pimp>Radiator>Chipset>GPU>CPU>Reservoir>Pump. This is essentially backward to what I had in mind as I wanted to go from the pump to the CPU block first. Is this set-up going to kill my performance?

why dont you have the pump at a dif angle? i put mine on its side so it flows in the top out the side. if you have room try it. got pik if needed

and yeah i would think it would kill it a bit. as its all warm by the time it hits the cpu :(

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I wouldn't mind seeing that picture you're talking about.

Another thing I thought of. I am planning on having a setup where I am pulling air from inside the case, through the radiator and out the top. I know that I'm pulling any warm air in the case through the rad, but I'm afraid if I pull air from the outside through the radiator then it will create a warm spot in the top of the case. Of course, hot air wants to rise and I'm going to be fighting nature by pulling cool air through the top instead of blowing it out the top. Any ideas on this?

MasterG said:
Ok I understand, now how about the second question?

Blow inwards there isn't going to be much resistance on your fans if any. If you blow out your heating your rad up. Atleast thats how it is for me.

MasterG said:
Thanks for the advice, both of you. I wouldn't mind seeing that picture you're talking about.
DSC02032.jpg

there ya go..i bolted mine to the side

MasterG said:
Ok I understand, now how about the second question?
The best solution is to mount the rad in such a way that it takes air in from outside the case and then exhausts air back outside the case. In your proposed setup either way is a looser. Choices are: mount rad outside case (on standoffs) or provide ducting inside the case for intake/exhaust. But, again, the temp differances are small. It's just better cooling (slightly) with the same parts.

Yeah, that would be the ideal situation, but I really don't want a massive radiator and fan set-up chillin out on top of my computer. That's why I invested in an AC Ryan RadGrillz to keep the sleek look of the case. I didn't want this to be a high impact project.

One other thing I thought of, would it work if I went from the pump output directly to the radiator. It would shorten my loop a bit, but I'm not sure if that would cause issues or not. I know that the pump would be pulling water through the loop instead of pushing it and it would be a huge pain to fill and bleed.

Tat2Monsta- I like how you have that loop configured, but I don't think I have the right set-up to be able to do something like that unfortunately. I have a Lian-Li V1000B case and the motherboard is inverted. Unless I mounted the pump upside down, a configuration like you have just wouldn't work. Now that I think of it, an upside down mount just might work out, I'll have to look into that.

MasterG said:
One other thing I thought of, would it work if I went from the pump output directly to the radiator. It would shorten my loop a bit, but I'm not sure if that would cause issues or not. I know that the pump would be pulling water through the loop instead of pushing it and it would be a huge pain to fill and bleed.
That's the best setup. Even though the temps in a loop vary by about 1/2 degree, going pump/rad/block(s)/whatever puts that 1/2 degree on the blocks.

billb said:
That's the best setup. Even though the temps in a loop vary by about 1/2 degree, going pump/rad/block(s)/whatever puts that 1/2 degree on the blocks.

Oops, I mean to say that I would go pump>reservoir>radiator>chipset>GPU>CPU>Pump.

Tat2monsta said:
in the pump manual it says dont put it upside down.. any way but!

Thanks for the head's up. Now that I look at it, I don't think it will work in the loop anyway.

Back