• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I hope I am right or my buddy will laugh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wwing49

Well my buddy is thinking of a new setup he wants. I am telling him that there will be too much heat dump and he would be better off keeping stock fans and air. His plan is:

Opteron 165
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
Radeon 1900XT
Corsair TwinX2048-4000PT
2x200GB SATA II
Chieftec Dragon/Matrix
OCZ Modstream 520W
Swiftech Apogee
Swiftech MCW30
Swiftech MCW60
Black Ice Xtreme II
Swiftech MCP665
Tygon 1/2" ID 5/8" OD
Swiftech Coolsleeves 625
2x120mm Delta 141.96CFM
UV LED's

His WC would be NB>GPU>Pump>Rad>CPU

Please confirm that it would be too much heat for a 120x2 rad.

Might as well make that a Radeon X1900XTX (or if he likes Nvidia a 7800GTX 512). Mod stream is a good choise but If he has the money I would suggest a PC Power and Cooling 510 or a nice Fortron which are on diffrent ends of the "wallet" spectrum. I would also suggest getting a smaller size hard drive (at least one) for the OS. Yummy, an Oprty 165 and an Chieftec :santa:

I'd personally eliminate the N/B too. If he was going for quiet, I doubt he'd have listed those Delta fans.

Go with the OCZ 520 PowerStream, it's a much better PSU than the ModStream.

Okay I'm the one whose gonna build this rig. My old rig is a lil' outdated and I wanna get a w/c overclocking setup that will rock my sox off in college. However I won't be building this for a while so that prices will go down and b/c I don't need it till next school year...

Yeah I could do without the NB cooler.......But it shouldn't be a problem having VGA and CPU coolers on the same loop? This is the biggest argument me and wwing49 are having right now.

I like the Modstream b/c of the modular design of the cables, I hate having millions of extra cables lying around. But if it's really that detrimental to OC performance, I'll go with some other Fortran/Sparkle. $100 or so is about how much I'll spend on a PSU.

The Corsair RAM did good in an Anandtech review, and DFI boards are always great overclockers. The 1900XTX is just an overclocked 1900XT, I don't see why I should waste the $100....Will the 1900XT come down to $400 relatively soon or will that be +6 months?

HA! I told you to change out those parts! Anyway, this is mostly just to check on the heat dump

kiyoshilionz said:
Okay I'm the one whose gonna build this rig. My old rig is a lil' outdated and I wanna get a w/c overclocking setup that will rock my sox off in college. However I won't be building this for a while so that prices will go down and b/c I don't need it till next school year...

Yeah I could do without the NB cooler.......But it shouldn't be a problem having VGA and CPU coolers on the same loop? This is the biggest argument me and wwing49 are having right now.

I like the Modstream b/c of the modular design of the cables, I hate having millions of extra cables lying around. But if it's really that detrimental to OC performance, I'll go with some other Fortran/Sparkle. $100 or so is about how much I'll spend on a PSU.

The Corsair RAM did good in an Anandtech review, and DFI boards are always great overclockers. The 1900XTX is just an overclocked 1900XT, I don't see why I should waste the $100....Will the 1900XT come down to $400 relatively soon or will that be +6 months?

No it shouldnt VGA and CPU are quite often on the same loop.

Prices wont go down much until next gen which I think is at the end of summer?

would running 2x d5 pumps on a single psu be too much? just curious as i wanna know if i could blow my psu or something.

Please confirm that it would be too much heat for a 120x2 rad.

your buddy isnt the only one laughing at you

your assumtions are completely wrong .

a single 80mm rad would be enough if he wants quiet and a system on par with air cooling. those that talk about heat dump most often have no clue what it means or assume it means MUCH more than it actualy is. even with the strongest pumps we use today for water cooling heat dump from them is usually less than 1/6 of just the processor alone .

im not even going to go into efficiency curves vs dt of smaller rads.

its pretty simple do the math, get some experiance then do some more research .. then give advice

thorilan said:
your buddy isnt the only one laughing at you

your assumtions are completely wrong .

a single 80mm rad would be enough if he wants quiet and a system on par with air cooling. those that talk about heat dump most often have no clue what it means or assume it means MUCH more than it actualy is. even with the strongest pumps we use today for water cooling heat dump from them is usually less than 1/6 of just the processor alone .

im not even going to go into efficiency curves vs dt of smaller rads.

its pretty simple do the math, get some experiance then do some more research .. then give advice

well you can get the thermochill pa160 for about the same price, which outperformed the 4x120mm radiator for load temps. your friends 165 is going to load around 30-40C which is still extremely cool.

^ I'm with them.

A single 120 rad/heatercore woulod easily keep that setup, and more, at acceptable temps. a Double would keep them slightly cooler, but I doubt you'll see a huge difference actually. Airflow through the rads usually makes a bigger difference than how big the rad is. a single 120 rad with a Delta monster like 250CFM or something will keep it cooler than a 3x120 rad with silent fans, no doubt.

A dual rad will work just fine and will give you good temps with those jet Deltas undervolted. There is very little difference among water temps in the typical watercooling loop (like .5c), so having the GPU and CPU in the same loop is the way to go.

kiyoshilionz said:
The 1900XTX is just an overclocked 1900XT, I don't see why I should waste the $100....Will the 1900XT come down to $400 relatively soon or will that be +6 months?

The X1900XTX seem to O/C a little higher on average than it's XT brother. If you are into max vid card performance for benching or bragging rights, that might make a difference to you. I'm with you, I got the XT and saved $100. Then, I flashed it to the XTX BIOS and for all practical purposes, I now have a XTX.

As for what prices will be like in 6 months... sorry, but my crystal ball seems a little fogged up. I would expect prices to stay fairly stable as long as the X1900 series is the top dog. When Nvidia releases their new card later this spring, perhaps the X1900's will drop in price a bit then.

sorry, but a BIX II with some good fans (Deltas, Sanyo Denkis) would be well more than enough to cool the proposed setup.

on a side note: zeimbo, what is that avatar?

zeimbo said:
would running 2x d5 pumps on a single psu be too much? just curious as i wanna know if i could blow my psu or something.

Provided th PSU has enough wattage and amps on the rail it shouldn't.

bartsimsonii said:
Provided th PSU has enough wattage and amps on the rail it shouldn't.

ive got 33a on the 12v and i just ordered a pc p&c 510 sli-deluxe, would it do any damage to run 2xdd d5's on it? how much average do the pumps draw?
its just an avatar. i dont see whats so special about it lol.

Back