• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NV-68 & cardkeeper on XFX6800 ultra?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIG RIDER

I'm not sure if one of those cardkeepers will work with this combination of wb and card? Anyone have any sound advice on the subject?
The reason that I'd like to know is that I'm thinking that the NV-68 wb will be heavy and the card will sag and need more support.
The keeper should help lessen the strain on the card and agp slot. The wb should be delivered tomorrow
so I need to know what you all think before I hang the card and wb.
Thanks in advance.

I for one just cut a pen tube to size and let that support my Leadtek 6800u with a Maze4 GPU and ramsinks. It was sagging like crazy before.

I have not tried the "cardkeeper" but I found my way, much cheaper and gave my card three points of support.

Bryan d

Great idea and thanks for the tip.That won't work for me in my cm stacker, case is to big.
I'd still like to know if anyone has used this setup before.

I dont' know about the cardkeeper working with that or not. However, here is a pic of the support I made for my VC. Maybe this will give you some ideas. I made it out of 3/16" acrylic and used the pci slot screw holes on one side and an unused screwhole on the edge of the VC card on the other. I just drilled into the acrylic through the spot where the hole is and put a screw through the hole in the card into the acrylic. This supports the card very well.

int2.jpg

That would work fine but I have no slots above the agp.
But your idea is great and I work in a mold making shop with all the tools and cnc's, mills and such. You have helped alot with that pic and your idea. Thanks.

I ran an NV68 on a 6800GT for a year, and frankly it didn't sag enough to make a difference. The only way I could tell it was sagging at all was to look at it very closely.

Very clever voights...your solution is much more elegant than mine.
desktop.jpg

I used a 3/8" aluminum rod and an unused hole in the card to support mine.
Prior to installing the Maze block I was using a NV-68 with this same support system.
In both cases, it wasn't the weight of the blocks, it was the tubing torque bending the card.
About the only time I envy the small-bore crowd...their tube routing is soooo much easier.

But your idea is great and I work in a mold making shop with all the tools and cnc's, mills and such. You have helped alot with that pic and your idea

I am glad that gave you some ideas. That's what I was hoping it would do. I would however watch out telling people that you work in a shop with cnc's and mills-you might get bombarded with requests for stuff!

clocker2: You could easily make the same thing I did for your card. You have plenty of PCI slots to screw into and it sure would be easier than having a rod going through your case. But there is place to say that hey, it works!

LOL I can't believe other people are doing this, I support my 6800GT with my Leatherman and it takes my temps down a degree or two. Anyone got a link to the cardkeeper?

Oh, nice card keeper mods Voights and Clocker2, I might have to borrow your mods for my case... I have a different' problem though, My PCI slots are about .7mm off target, I'm not sure if cardkeepers will help.

How do those cardkeepers keep themselves straight? Looks like they only mount to the ONE PCI screw, wouldn't need a second point at least?

clocker2 said:
Very clever voights...your solution is much more elegant than mine.
desktop.jpg

I used a 3/8" aluminum rod and an unused hole in the card to support mine.
Prior to installing the Maze block I was using a NV-68 with this same support system.
In both cases, it wasn't the weight of the blocks, it was the tubing torque bending the card.
About the only time I envy the small-bore crowd...their tube routing is soooo much easier.

Nice idea, on another note I love the color scheme in the case it looks awesome.

Electron Chaser said:
Nice idea, on another note I love the color scheme in the case it looks awesome.
Hee hee...I wish it looked like that IRL.
That's just had the colors inverted in Paint to show detail a bit better.
I liked it so much it became my desktop for a few days.

NV-68 or any of the DD full cover blocks won't fit with a cardkeeper - i tried, sorry

but voigts - damn clever idea! nice!

Sneaky said:
NV-68 or any of the DD full cover blocks won't fit with a cardkeeper - i tried, sorry

Can you give me some reasons why the NV-68 and the keeper won't work together?
I'm going with 3/8 ID tubing on the setup, still looking for a rad, so some info as to what was the problem of them not fitting to gether would help.
If it was interfearing at the water block and the keeper, like I'm thinking it will,
could the keeper be notched to clear the water block and still maintain stiffness?
Or are the water lines to close to the keeper?

the extension off the waterblock for the barbs is maybe 1mm off the edge of the card - no where near enough room for the cardkeeper to fit

i wanted to use a cardkeeper with my x1800xt and ATI-X18 full cover block, but it wasn't gonna happen

Sneaky said:
the extension off the waterblock for the barbs is maybe 1mm off the edge of the card - no where near enough room for the cardkeeper to fit

i wanted to use a cardkeeper with my x1800xt and ATI-X18 full cover block, but it wasn't gonna happen

Yeah I agree, if you look at this pic the barbs are where the card keeper would have to be.
15.jpg

originally posted by Sneaky:

I appreciate that. Actually, it was your mention of the cardkeeper in a thread of mine a number of months ago that got me to make this. I didn't want to have to wait to order a cardkeeper as I was in the middle of putting in a new MB on a weekend. The way my VC was bending was a cause of concern for me as at the time I thought I had a bad AGP slot, hence the MB change. It turned out to be a power connection to the VC that had lost good connection for some reason after it was all said and done. Anyway, I figured I could do something with acrylic and then noticed the unused holes on the edge of the card. It works great, was dirt cheap since I already had the acrylic, and looks good too. I just had to get longer screws to go through the acrylic into the PCI slots which was a simple trip to ACE.

Back