• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling kit decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With watercooling kits, you get what you pay for. If you can't afford a decent setup, then just stay with air until you save up a little more or buy one piece at a time until you have a system.

id say these should perform the same as a mediocre air setup (ie not stock)

the only benefit i could see coming from this is to quiet the system down. not even sure how much though

I feel your pain, sir. From a guy who is building his first WC project, let me save you some grief. If you want significant cooling results (aka better than air), you are going to have to put your own system together.

Read everything you can on watercooling while saving your cheese. By the time you have your cash together, you will have a very solid understanding of what you expect to accomplish and which components will get you there. Even then, you still may make mistakes. Heck, just look as my choice of fans with the rad I purchased. Bad move !

It's not the fun way to do it, but it's better than buying a system, obtaining disappointing results, selling it a signficant loss, then building your own anyway, or worse, telling everyone you know that watercooling stinks, using your recent experience and results as an example.

Again, I am new to this; however, I do feel comfortable offering this advice after reading too many posts from people expecting sub zero temps out of plug and play watercooling set ups.

And yes, I'm being dramatic.

Good luck !

It's possible if you can obtain some stuff at garage sale prices and/or are very good at modifying things. Still, you'll need a some knowledge to purchase wisely.

Let me shut up now and let someone that really knows what they're talking about pipe up.

avalanche83 said:
Whoa whoa whoa, don't get too far ahead of me. Is it possible to build one that is better than air for $140-$150?
Classifieds my friend :)

Get your block from dtek, a WhiteWater is still one of the best blocks ever made and its like 24$ on dtek, find a single rad here for 20-30$ and a pump and a relay and you are set or if you get a good deal here on a 12V pump even better!
150$ will get you an excellent system.

I've seen danger den kits for sale @ microcenter for around 150 bux you might want to check into that if you have one of those stores nearby.

I bought the "Cool" kit by corsair and Im very happy with it. I did the mod on my MCP350 and added a DD Maze 4 later and it has been great.

Flip-Mode said:
Classifieds my friend :)

Get your block from dtek, a WhiteWater is still one of the best blocks ever made and its like 24$ on dtek, find a single rad here for 20-30$ and a pump and a relay and you are set or if you get a good deal here on a 12V pump even better!
150$ will get you an excellent system.
Yep. I'd get a heatercore capable of supporting dual 120mm fans though since a single 120 is limiting factor in this case.

kbtat2 said:
I bought the "Cool" kit by corsair and Im very happy with it. I did the mod on my MCP350 and added a DD Maze 4 later and it has been great.

Hey, I have that kit also. What is this mod to the pump you speak of?

awesome thanks for the info, they said it increases flow around 70%!! :drool:
Hey you see that plastic stuff wrapped around the water tubes.. i forget what its called, but is that stuff important to have.. keeps the tubes from kinking or somethin? b/c it came with my kit but i didnt put them on b/c seemed like a PITA

planoser said:
Hey you see that plastic stuff wrapped around the water tubes.. i forget what its called, but is that stuff important to have.. keeps the tubes from kinking or somethin? b/c it came with my kit but i didnt put them on b/c seemed like a PITA
The cool sleeves are not necessary, you only need to use them as an aid to prevent kinking in tight tubing bends.

Back