• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech MCW30 internal shots WOW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thegreek

IMG_0022.jpg

picture from Coroner Kyle over at XS

Talk about no restriction, that is what the block looks like from inside. NOTHING. How much are they selling this thing for again?

hmmm. $30 for something with no pins...but then again its only suppose to be a chipset cooler, so it doesnt necessarily require alot of cooling. they probably purposely designed it this way so there would be no restriction.

if a passive heatsink can handle the jandal with it, i dont see the point in overly restrictive northbridge blocks.

Etacovda said:
if a passive heatsink can handle the jandal with it, i dont see the point in overly restrictive northbridge blocks.
But the poeple who buy this are looking for better cooling than a passive heatsink, hence why they buy it. Swiftech could've add a few dimples and it woud'nt have hurt flow rates at all and would've offered much better performance but there's nothing there.

I can't figure out why everyone round the various forums has their knickers in a twist over this block. It will perform just fine on any chipset, no dimples or anything needed at all.

ROFLMAO..."Low restriction design" is right. Honestly, why bother? The fact that you are making two 90 degree transitions already means you are losing alot of momentum/energy to the part, so people concerned about pressure drop would be foolish to use it either way. :rolleyes:

Good active or passive cooling is a better choice for most chipsets, and with today's top of line boards coming with effective heatpipe based solutions I don't advocate watercooling NB chipsets unless they start dissipating more power. :bang head

consumer9000 said:
ROFLMAO..."Low restriction design" is right. Honestly, why bother? The fact that you are making two 90 degree transitions already means you are losing alot of momentum/energy to the part, so people concerned about pressure drop would be foolish to use it either way. :rolleyes:

Good active or passive cooling is a better choice for most chipsets, and with today's top of line boards coming with effective heatpipe based solutions I don't advocate watercooling NB chipsets unless they start dissipating more power. :bang head

passive solutions can leave a bit to be desired. I can make my zalman fail using memtest (k7 system) in a continuous loop.

active solutions are not desirable because they require a fan. The pressure drop in this block will be pretty low at the flowrates that modern rigs are running at. At the end of the day, look at this block for what it is - an attractive, cheap way to remove a fan and improve cooling. Theres no need to complicate a northbridge block.

nikhsub1 said:
I can't figure out why everyone round the various forums has their knickers in a twist over this block. It will perform just fine on any chipset, no dimples or anything needed at all.

Me neither... Thats been swifty's design for their chipset block for how many years now? Only difference b/w that one and the old one is the new one has a delrin top and its threaded.

::looks at posts that say watercooling a NB is pointless::
::looks at my pc-dl with a 80mm screamer over the nb::
::looks at 40c temp reading in MBM::
:rolleyes:

i know chipsets dont need that much cooling therefore chipset waterblock design does not need to be so intricate, but is there a noticable diffference in performance from choosing a block like this over a block like the maze 4 chipset or Silverprop chipset?

But the poeple who buy this are looking for better cooling than a passive heatsink, hence why they buy it. Swiftech could've add a few dimples and it woud'nt have hurt flow rates at all and would've offered much better performance but there's nothing there.

while this is true it would litterally triple production time and quality control time so you would have to pay more in the end for something that would show such an infintismally small benifit as there would be no way swiftech could justify it.

consumer9000 said:

My NF2 literally burned my fingers running stock with a passive sink. The problem was that the passive sink was not nearly large enough for worst case duty (200MHz FSB, 24/7 Folding in 30C+ ambient summer temps).

My NB-1C cured that problem, and any crappy 40-50mm HSF solution will cool an NF2 fine.

If tossing another block in the loop would take that much more noise out, I'd use it.

My NB is running in the 60's on my NF3 DFI (stock passive).
I've been considering buying one, or at least making a copper cap block with a featureless base.
Anything has got to be better than the one supplied...my cooling power is far from being hindered by the addition of another block (or four :D ).

I was curious about the insides though, Swifty doesn't seem too interested lately on showing an inside pic, or when they do, it's not an actual photo but an illustration....hate that!

thorilan said:
while this is true it would litterally triple production time and quality control time so you would have to pay more in the end for something that would show such an infintismally small benifit as there would be no way swiftech could justify it.

^^

Back