• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black Ice Extreme III and 120x38mm fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

Are there any places online that sell screws that can attach the fans to this radiator? I would only ask for people who use a BIX (I, II, or III) and some 120x38mm fans to recommend places. I tried some heavy duty fan screws from frozenpc.com, but they are too long and would puncture the radiator.

We're going to need a pic to see what you are doing in order to give any reasonable advice... do you want to go from the inner mounting hole of the fan, the outer mounting hole of the fan, are you using a shroud, grill, grommets? A BIX (all versions to the best of my knowledge) accepts standard #6 sheet metal screws so once you know the length you need you should be able to order them from McMaster-Carr, or get them elsewhere, or do you have special needs?

Aidenswarrior said:
6-32 screws. They sell them in all kinds of sizes.

6-32 is a machine screw size. The BIX, stock, wants #6 sheet metal screws. A whole different animal. I'm assuming you had a brain fart--something I do more often the older I get--but I did want to clarify for the lurkers.

i use 6-32 myself
you just need to stick one of the skrews in a drill, and then thread the holes

MVC, what are #6 sheet metal screws?

The best thing to do is drill out the holes to fit a #6 all thread rod. HomeDepot or Lowes have them, it makes mounting very easy.

Make a stop block out of thick tape on the drill bit, and push the fins out with a thin screw driver.

Easy if you are mechanically inclined.

I used 6-32 all thread rods too and just went all the way through using nuts on the ends.

Sheet metal screws are screws with a pointy end, they go into sheet metal and hold. Machine screws don't have a pointy end and are designed to be used with a nut of some type (standard, locking, etc).

Here's a pic of each. The one on the left is a #6 sheet metal screw, the one on the right is a 6-32 machine screw (both 1/2 inch long if I grabbed from the right bin). If it helps any, the "32" in 6-32 means 32 teath per inch and you can easily see that the sheet metal screw doesn't have that many.

Attachments

• 2006-02-09 009cs.jpg
    2006-02-09 009cs.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 259
Well I had the radiator and fans mounted to the inside top of my case, with the 120x25mm's anyway. The heavy duty screws are just black #6 sheet metals screws it appears. I had the radiator setup fastened as follows, going from outside the case to inside: screw-grommet-grill-top of case-grommet-fan. The fans were just screwed into the radiator with short machine screws.

SuperFarStucker said:
The #6 sheet screws work like a charm. My fans aren't going anywhere. A lot cheaper than buying some threaded rods too.

Yea but I thought the fans would puncture the radiator? Or does the radiator tube not pass under the screw holes?

I taped the holes in my BIX3 and I use 6-32 3/8" buttonhead cap screws to hold my fans in place and they are massive 120mm X 76.2mm fans.

PCPncBracket2.JPG

and they are not going anywhere. Yes those are 3 Delta GFB fans.

Electron Chaser said:
I taped the holes in my BIX3 and I use 6-32 3/8" buttonhead cap screws to hold my fans in place and they are massive 120mm X 76.2mm fans.

PCPncBracket2.JPG

:drool:
is that a 1kw pcp&c and they're sitting on!?!

Electron Chaser said:

PCPncBracket2.JPG

whoa... Those fans are humongo... oh and nice psu

Back