• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ISP Hell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

This is what I've posted on another forum (specifically called www.bulldog-hell.com)

I signed up with bulldog in um, god knows, it was a long time ago. But anyway, I terminated the contract (properly mind you, to the contract specifications) in either June or July 2004. Since that point, I have been going crazy without an internet connection. The reason I stopped was because of financial difficulties, even to the point of closing my credit card which paid for this service. I thought everything was fine, no contacts from them.

Then November 2005 appeared. I was a little better off financially, so I thought, hmmm, let's look at a net connection, nothing special or godlike, just something that costs 15 quid. I find one that appeals and has several recommendations from internet friends, and I think 'I have my debit card, let's go for it!'. The website returns a message saying they can't run a test, another ISP is on the line, and I need to get a mac code. Something along those lines. So, of course, I am confused. No ISP should be on the line. Taking a stab in the dark, I decide to call Bulldog, who then proceed to tell me I owe 440 pounds! My contract was never cancelled, and I have never paid up. This has led to me being very angry, to the point of having to severely restrain my writing in my emails. I have been basically demanding that they get off my line, clear this ridiculous claim of a bill and just go away.

I am looking for advice on steps to take. My previous credit card company has no records of them trying to take payment. Emails from them are non-existant in regards to demands of payment, of which during one call I find out that the email address they have for me is completely wrong, I have never had the email address they have been using to try and contact me. I can't work out how a £40pm service can only accumulate (sp?) £440 in 15-16 months. And they have still been billing me. I received a bill from them in PDF format for 500 odd quid in late January.

How can I sort this out!? I cancelled the internet connection SOOOO long ago that I can't even find my copy of the cancellation letter! Neither can they find theirs, but where's the surprise in that?

Every call I have made has involved people of an seriously incompetent nature, even to the point of a 'MANAGER' not knowing how to end a call on their system. Though that was fun having a go at them for talking about me in a poor manner, I heard every bit whilst I was trying to get their attention to end the call so I could call someone else. The amount of times I have heard their staff break into the mantras they obviously practice like a religion when faced with a very knowledgeable person (I worked for BTOpenwoe). Is there an 'easier' way to sort this out then having to get some legal advice, or possibly even court?

This is one VERY ****ed off customer. They say you give ten bad references to one good one when asked about businesses. I'm adding another couple of zeros onto that.

Help me, please.

DanFraser

It seems you could tell them, I havent been using the internet and they would be able to see that there has been no activity by you on that connection. Therfore proving that you were not utilizing their services. Very Bizarre, they sound like AOL! (america online) We signed up for them once for a trial thing, then canceled after like a month. Then found out they kept charging us, called them again they said no problem its canceled... then CONTINUED to charge us. Finally we called in and said they had been charging us and we wanted it Canceled immediatly, they canceled but never refunded our money.... :(

Back