• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

few questions on radiator effenciency

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StupidFast900

Registered
i got my new case (antec p 180) and im putting water cooling in it. ive actualy had it set up and running pretty decently for a few months with no problems, but once agian the urge to improve has got the best of me. the goal is to water cool an athlon 64 and 7800 video card without having any parts outside of the box. ive been using a mid 80's camaro heater core as a radiator, seems like a good size for the cooling but a bit large for this case. anyway pics are worth a thousand words so ill post some. baisicly i was wondering if there would be a better way to setup the water cooling, ideas ive had are to put a shroud around the radiator and 2 bottom fans - problem the radiator is at an angle which is certainly not best for airflow but it still keeps the radiator seperate fromt he rest of the case. the other idea i had was possably putting 2 120mm radiators either inline at the bottom or one at the back and one at the bottom - problem requires more parts and might not be enough cooling.

please give me your input, btw i need to keep all the top 3.5 and 5.25 bays.

Attachments

• DSCN0390 copy.jpg
    DSCN0390 copy.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN0387.JPG
    DSCN0387.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 51
well i dont want the radiator outside the box at all, and the heater core i have now isnt a 120 its much bigger. its closer to 180mm so thats why it has to sit at an angle.

Yea looks like a chevette HC. As it stands right now you have alot of dead zones on that core. One would be the area outside the fan and also the hub of the fan itself. Putting a shroud on it made for a HC would lift the fan anywhere from 1 to 1.5" allowing more air to flow through the HC and also lowering the temps. Here is one shroud for it

ok so it sounds like a custom shroud is the way to go, any particular material better then another? i think it would be cool to make one out of dynamat to silence any airflow/fan noise.

believe it or not if oyu are happy with its current sound i would leave it as it is unless you want to make your own fiberglass shrouding and cut more of the bottom of your case

cutting the case more isnt out of the question but i think i can get a good shroud on it without more grinding. ill se what i can fab up and let you guys know.

i say leave it like that,

btw, how did you paint the inside of your case, can you please PM me the info like paint u used and the steps you did as i want to do the same to my lian-li

thanks,
SKy

Back