• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

frustration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bender222

Registered
i had assembled a dual rad setup which i though to be excellent based on the temperatures i was receiving with the onboard sensors. i was unsure of the accuracy of the sensors but i was able to fine tune the whole setup till i get the absolute lowest temperatures. I was receiving 29c idle and 36 celsius load Via the onboard sensors. again i do not know how accurate the sensors on the asus k8v are. it turns out that i decided to disassemble my system and change various aspects of it. so i hooked uop an old koolance exos unit while i worked on it. My motemperatures are actually lower with the koolance than with my other system! both idle and load are lower. i idle at about 28c but i load at about 33 with the koolance. i know i was going for low mnoise with the yate loon quiet fans but i installed 2 radiators just so i could maintain low temperatures. i guess koolance isnt bad after all

What did you have for your other setup in the way of parts and such?

STORM/PA160/D5/MAZE4/BIP2/3 X YATE LOON FANS
it was originally giving me mediocre temperatures but i tweaked it until i got about 29 idle . it seems that the koolance can do that without any tweaking.

Take the PA160 our of the loop and try it again, with the storm block your loop is a bit constrictive and on top of that you have two rads.
FYI, both the PA160 and the BIP2 will handle that heat, there is no need for both of them, even a single BIP would be enough.

Flip-Mode said:
Take the PA160 our of the loop and try it again, with the storm block your loop is a bit constrictive and on top of that you have two rads.
FYI, both the PA160 and the BIP2 will handle that heat, there is no need for both of them, even a single BIP would be enough.

Any system will handle the heat but the temperatures will be horrible. The real goal is to get decent temperatures. Besides that your advice is solid, but I would personally remove the BIP2 since the PA160 will handle that setup with nice temps and one less fan.

Any system will handle the heat but the temperatures will be horrible. The real goal is to get decent temperatures.

Well, apparently Bender222's goal is to get the lowest temp. However, for many people, they could care less as long as their temps are well below spec and give them top overclocks. Lowest temps do not always translate into lowest overclocks.

Having said that, I also would also advise going with just the PA160. The Koolance is probably just giving you better flow than your current setup with two rads. There comes a point of diminishing returns where adding multiple rads can actually hurt performance, not help it as multiple rads also effect flow.

voigts said:
Well, apparently Bender222's goal is to get the lowest temp. However, for many people, they could care less as long as their temps are well below spec and give them top overclocks. Lowest temps do not always translate into lowest overclocks.

Having said that, I also would also advise going with just the PA160. The Koolance is probably just giving you better flow than your current setup with two rads. There comes a point of diminishing returns where adding multiple rads can actually hurt performance, not help it as multiple rads also effect flow.

I think you mean highest overclocks.

voigts said:

But there is a relationship between temps and oc otherwise getting watercooling (or even phase-change) would be a waste since you could get a high oc (although with higher temps) on a heat sink. So yes the goal of any cooling setup is to get the lowest temperatures you can (obviously since we are all human we have budget constraints to deal with). However an overclock does also depend on the individual components so it would be pointless to say that it will always guarantee a higher oc but it is correct to say it gives you a better chance of getting one.

Another thing you could try is running the two rads in parallel. That's going to be a bit dodgy because they're constructed differently and one might get a lot more flow than the other, but coolant flow rates don't affect radiator performance dramatically anyway.
If you're going for low noise and high performace, and you've got the rads anyway, you might as well try it. All you need is a couple Y's and a bit of extra tubing. There's a chance you'll get slightly better flow through the CPU block than with a single rad, and even if you only break even after you figure in the restriction of the Y's, the extra area and fan(s) should let you run closer to silence.

Back