• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

want a good laugh?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

osiris999

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118111 is a watercooling kit my friend wants. he doesnt know anything about watercooling or cooling in general. he wants it to cool a 165 dual core opty that hes getting. i told him it isnt gonna do the job. so i then i gave him this link http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-wat-79.html and said for the same price he can get much better. he says no because the swiftec sticks out the case. he wants me to overclock this for him also. i see noway that the watercooler he wants will cool his cpu let alone overclock it. what do you guys think.

Theres no reason you couldn't cram a 120mm rad inside a case, what kind of case is it? Tell him there's a good chance he wont be sastisfied with the zalman.

Who every said that swiftech kit was going to have to be EXTERNAL? Also, he does realize that the Zalman is a ginat thing that will sit next to his case, right? There is no way he can fit that inside of it (if that's what he's thinking he wants to do).

By all means, go hign end air if he's going to try the Zalman.

He doesn't want the Swiftech kit because it would be external? Where does he expect that Zalman to fit?

t4runnr said:
He doesn't want the Swiftech kit because it would be external? Where does he expect that Zalman to fit?

thats what im trying to say. he just saw the pic on the frozencpu link showing it mounted outside. it would fit in his case. i dont know what kind it is off hand but he is putting a 120mm fan in it already. i dont think he knows that the other kit wont fit in that case. im trying to get him to buy the swiftec kit. the problem is that he doesnt listen to me much and hes picking that kit because of newegg reviews and doesnt understand his cpu is different than theirs and that not all newegg reviews are real. i made this thread for him to see so that he will take are advice. i did a diy setup that works pretty well for being a few years old. it keeps my cpu cooled just fine getting 1.5 volts. i tried to get him to go diy even was gonna pick all his parts for him and install the whole thing but thats a no go. either way whatever he gets im gonna have to install it more than likely. when i said the thing is fanless so theres a big problem there he says " why would it need a fan. the water cools the cpu so what would a fan do" lol. he made a name on here so i hope he reads a few threads and maybe make a few threads before he starts buying things.

from what i understand,the heatsink shipping with all dual core procs will beat the hell out of the zalman and save him a **** load of cash to boot.i'd tell him to try the stock cooler first,and IF he still wants to go liquid,then help him pick out something better.

have him read this review of the stock cooler

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=399

btw i just ordered an opty 165 last week and will get this on monday or tuesday

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement on the Reserator.
I find the whole concept of an integrated rad/rez/pump, running passively, to be intriguing.
Certainly, ease of installation is a plus also.

Yeah, I know there have been pump issues and the supplied Zalman blocks are (probably) crap, but even so, I have been tempted.

If I didn't already have a Convecto-matic loop to try (someday...) the Zalman would be my next choice to explore a passive/silent loop.
It's the darling of the SPCR waterguys and I've seen several mod guides about the pump. Different blocks of the proper fitting size are available and the "corrosion issue" doesn't faze me...that's what additives are for.

If all your friend is going to have in the loop is the Opteron, then the Zalman would probably do just fine.
Add in a decent vid card though and all bets are off.

clocker2 said:
I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement on the Reserator.
I find the whole concept of an integrated rad/rez/pump, running passively, to be intriguing.
Certainly, ease of installation is a plus also.

Yeah, I know there have been pump issues and the supplied Zalman blocks are (probably) crap, but even so, I have been tempted.

If I didn't already have a Convecto-matic loop to try (someday...) the Zalman would be my next choice to explore a passive/silent loop.
It's the darling of the SPCR waterguys and I've seen several mod guides about the pump. Different blocks of the proper fitting size are available and the "corrosion issue" doesn't faze me...that's what additives are for.

If all your friend is going to have in the loop is the Opteron, then the Zalman would probably do just fine.
Add in a decent vid card though and all bets are off.

Its not bad, if you exchange the pump its very decent setup.
It is a little too expensive, the ThermalTake version might be better if you are going to mod it for your needs as its less expensive.

If you are looking for a kit, try a coolermaster aquagate mini (80 or 120mm) they fit inside most case's with little or no modding needed & can be very quiet.Mine dropped my temp's by 9c.They can also be had for not a whole lot of money on ebay.

all you can do is give them a better option. and tell hime the pros and cons of each. If he's spending $200, tell him to spend $250 and get the Apex kit which would even better. Or if he isn't responsive, let him get the zalman, and take sweet pleasure saying "i told you so"

My friend has a Zalman. He loves it. So I don't knock it at all. I was just commenting on his need to "not have an external setup" yet he wants the Zalman.

t4runnr said:
My friend has a Zalman. He loves it. So I don't knock it at all. I was just commenting on his need to "not have an external setup" yet he wants the Zalman.

There's some real hate threads on the Reserator due the the pump problems. I'm not sure I'd buy a kit in that the first thing you have to do is replace the pump. If you friend is handy enough to handle the verfied and common problems with the Zalman Reserator, he's handy enough to piece together a passive radiator system that doesnt have parts immeadiately needing replaced. If its just the look of the radiator tower he likes, he may be able to find one in the classifieds cheap and use other pumps and blocks.

As for passive solultions:

The termaltake rocket is out there, albeit way too phallic and cheesy. http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/watercooling/cl-w0011rocket/cl-w0011.htm

Or a better solution -- http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/watercooling/cl-w0040symphony/cl-w0040.htm The Symphony.

If it's quiet your friend is looking for. Quiet active watercooling is all about what kind of fans, pumps, case, etc that you are using. I'm in the middle of building a rig that will overclock (slightly) silently, using a Thermochill 120.3, D5 pump, Scythe FDB fans, DD blocks...

Brand loyalty is nice, but doesnt always result in the best products for your friends needs.

the problem is he started out just wanting a heatsink so i sent him links to ones like the xp-120. then some newegg reviews said it was ahrd to put on and you have to almost break stuff to get it on. so it decided the xp-120 "sucked". then i guess after seeing my cooling setup and my oc i got he decided to go water. whats his reasons for wanting the zalmen i dont know besides newegg reviews. hes gonna be hard core gameing on this pc and i really dont think the zalmen can handle a oced 165 getting 1.5 volts @2.7ghz.

If he wants water, he should do his research and do it right the first time. With a little modding, he should be able to fit a complete loop with a dual 120mm rad inside a mid-tower. He can probably fit a single 120mm rad without any modding.

Cyrix_2k said:
If he wants water, he should do his research and do it right the first time. With a little modding, he should be able to fit a complete loop with a dual 120mm rad inside a mid-tower. He can probably fit a single 120mm rad without any modding.
yea he needs ro read more and not just look at sites that are selling the product. im gonna be the one installing it and would have no problem getting the swiftec kit inside his case.

I was able to fit a Bonneville '77 radiator and a (huge) Eheim 1250 pump completely internally in an Antec 1080 case. Okay, I had to mount the hard drive in a 5.25" bay. Other than the extra AC cord running into the case, the only clue that it's watercooled is the dead silence. :)

I can see the reluctance to hack up the case, though. The major pain is having to be case-less while you're working on it. :/

Back