• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pool anti algie ok to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
i dont have any anti freeze, but my dad does have some pool stuff!
can i use it in my loop or should i go buy some for the car?

if you have all copper parts, just use a tiny amount of isopropal alcohal. A few cap fulls should be plenty. You can also put a small (I stress small) amount of dish soap in your loop to break the surface tension of the water if you like.

Antifreeze won't always prevent algae from occuring. I don't know anything about the stuff for the pool, so IDK. Personally I use iodine to prevent algae.

Don't buy the iodine from a pet shop, they do have bio-available iodine there but it is to promote algae growth, not kill it :p Any drugstore will have the iodine you need, its the brown **** they put on your arm before they suck the blood out.

So long as it isn't chlorine based you'll be fine. Chlorine based stuff will oxidize your parts.

I use the stuff you get from the pet supply store to cure fish ailments. It has anti-microbial properties as well, but it sure does cloud up the water for a while. It takes about 2 weeks for the fluid to return clear.

d94 said:
i dont have any anti freeze, but my dad does have some pool stuff!
can i use it in my loop or should i go buy some for the car?

Have you setup your loop yet? You most probably wont have any problems and not need anything.

Alcohol can crack clear plastics so be careful.

SuperFarStucker said:
Don't buy the iodine from a pet shop, they do have bio-available iodine there but it is to promote algae growth, not kill it :p Any drugstore will have the iodine you need, its the brown **** they put on your arm before they suck the blood out.
And, don't use a lot of iodine if you've got acrylic parts (like an acrylic reservoir). Iodine will break down acrylic so it could cause a leak if you use too much of it. With a drop or two it should work OK.

Alcohal shouldn't crack plastic - but it can make it more brittle over time. However, Steve (the lego case guy) and I use it and haven't had any problems. I have a poly topped WW that I've been using for over two years and it's just fine.

Cyrix_2k said:
Alcohal shouldn't crack plastic - but it can make it more brittle over time. However, Steve (the lego case guy) and I use it and haven't had any problems. I have a poly topped WW that I've been using for over two years and it's just fine.
True enough, but it all depends on what you're willing to risk. A hot tub anti-algi compound won't hurt acrylic (and is very cheap), why risk using something that could hurt the system when there are other alternatives?

Cyrix_2k said:

Be careful though. Some plastics are worse than others, concentration is also involved of coase.

I have some nice cracked stuff here to show for it, seen it plenty of times on the forums as well, not many people know the risk so that causes problems.

You need something to prevent corrosion, which is why most of us use antifreeze. To prevent growth, a couple of drops of iodine works well. I don't know about the pool stuff but do know the above formula works well.

Cyrix_2k said:
not with an all copper/plastic loop. That's very true if you have a mixed metal loop though.
Corrosion is likely to occur eventually even in an all similiar metal loop.

Can anyone explain why a TINY amount of bleach wouldn't work?

I used it in one of those plastic water bubble/color change things. Never hurt anything over 2 years. Never tried it on a PC watercooling kit though.

I use a little bit of waterbed conditioner. It's cheap and you only need a tiny bit so a small bottle will last for quite a while.

Back