• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I doing something horribly wrong...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kampfzerstorer

Before I get too far into this, let me say that I have read the sticky thread about high temps. I have reseated blocks and all that fun stuff. Here is the problem.

The other day I got one of these www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Liquid/DIY/cl-w0076/cl-w0076.asp (Thermaltake Bigwater 745) and slammed it on my system, along with some thermaltake aquarius gpu waterblocks (2). So I prime everything and bleed it for a while, then fire up the system. Much to my dismay things were running 10C hotter than before. My opteron 148 was running at 45C idle with no OC (before it would run at 35C OCed to 2.95). So I reseat everything and fire it up again. Same results. So I take the GPU's off the water and put them back on air. CPU idles at 42C. Seriously, I have a hard time believing this kit is THIS horrible. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry to inform you but that kit is not all that great. If you bought the kit that only comes with the 120mm rad then its most likely not able to handle the extra heat added by your gpu. IMO you were better off with your air cooling.

Please read posts thoroughly and check links before posting.

1) The kit has 2 radiators, a 120mm and a 240mm.

2) I appologize if I didn't make it clear in my post, but the GPUs are no longer on the water system, its only the CPU now.

Well I use the TT big water se kit
(sig RIG) and have no problems, but it did take me two re-seatings to get it right. Now my temps are good, not great. Room temp is 25c, CPU idle 33c, CPU load 41~42c fan on full. Also it took a day for the as5 to settle in and my temps became more acceptable and stable. Make sure that you have all the air bubbles out of your system by tipping the case to allow the trapt air to make it's way to the res.

these kits have equal performance to mid to high-end air systems. With an opteron and two 7800, you should have invested in a home built kit. If you spend that much on a system, you shouldnt cut back on cooling.

this is what i would have recommended

Apogee Cpu block $40
2x Maze 4 gpu Blocks $40 each=$80
BIPII Rad $37 or BIX2 $58
DD5 Pump $80
120x38 fans from SVC for $5 each, so $10 for 2
10 feet of tubing from mcmaster $5

Total=
$201 with the BIX2
$180 with BIP2

would have given you much better temps.

BTW: What type of thermal paste are you using? If you arent using Arctic Silver 5, then i recommend getting some and replacing whatever you are using. Also, if you are using that coolant, that could also be a problem. That is like pure anti-free. I would recommend 85% distilled water with about 15% of that stuff.

Hey, thanks for the replies. I'm using AS5, and as far as the water blocks are concerned, you won't believe this, but I ordered most of this stuff from frozencpu and I DID order 2x Maze 4 gpu Blocks, and frozencpu just took my money and never sent my gpu blocks! Fun huh? I do have a maze4 cpu block w/peltier support from dangerden, but it looks like they just sent me someone's old used cpu block. Maybe I'll try throwing that on and seeing what happens.

By the way do you know of any places that I can order stuff from and not have them just take my money and never send anything?

I'd have to agree with Rig Rider, if everything is working properly there is no way your temps should be that high. I have one of these with a second GPU block in a similar setup and under normal conditions my temps are fine

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=174654

In your position I'd try the following:

Check the temp on the rad pipe heads, does it feel warm to the touch? If so the block is probably seated OK and you have either an air lock somewhere (probably the rad) or a blockage. As already suggested, tip the rad around to get the air out. You should be able to see from the res whether or not the coolant is flowing freely.

If the rad is pretty much cold, then I'd make sure the pump is running, make sure there are no kinks in the pipes, make sure there is no trapped air in the block and finally make sure the block is properly seated (even though you've already checked).

God luck

Please read posts thoroughly and check links before posting.

1) The kit has 2 radiators, a 120mm and a 240mm.

2) I appologize if I didn't make it clear in my post, but the GPUs are no longer on the water system, its only the CPU now

well here is your problem. what he said was still correct. your kit is not well designed

you can ruin a good system just as easily by overdoing one component the same way you can not using a strong enough verson of anothe rcomponent.

you have a not so high up the chain kit with to much rad for the amount of pumping power and your block isnt the best. in effect you have choked the system.

tbh the kit for that sucks . for the cooling potential it has ( mostly effected in your case by lack of a good pump or efficient rads) its noise level and design are on the noob low end unless you place the cooling under your desk .

Took the stock cpu water block off and tossed that used looking maze 4 on. Idle and load are now 39C (yeah lame sensor always seems to think my load temps are same as idle). Seems like 4C higher than before, but that could just be because ambient is warmer than before.

Anyway about frozencpu, I sent them two emails a week ago and they haven't answered yet. I guess I should call them? They don't provide a support phone number, only a sales number.

Hmmm I am really stating to wonder about this now. You are saying that DD and Frozencpu shorted you? Some how i doubt this. DD has always gone out of their way for me. Including sending me extra mounting hardware for free. Frozencpu has also been really good with thing. I have talked to them on the phoen several times and never had a problem that was not fixed. No buisness is going to just take your money and say have a nice day (ok well maybe microsoft :) ). If you really do feel cheated then call them and alert them to the problem. I am guessing you payed with CC so you have the charges. Giving a wrong mailing address is a commin problem so double check that. I am just not sure why you would order top end water cooling gear, not get it, and then order a much lower system.....

I have to agree with DeViL_909. If I ordered over $80 in parts, you can be sure they would hear from me and I WOULD get some resolve, or I would reverse the payment.

Yeah, you really need to check with dangerden and frozencpu. They are both very reputable sellers and you should be able to get your problem solved. As for the maze4 with pelt, temps should not be that high so yeah maybe you are doing something terribly wrong I dunno, pics would help.

My point was the story sounds off. As for the Maze4 with the pelt, they have to mod the block for the pelt. It was not a second hand block but one that had the pelt put on it. The bottom looked dirty didn't it? That is what happens to copper blocks. You can clean that off easily. Are you running the tec? If so what are you running it with? A tec will increase the temp of your water. Hot side puts out lots of heat.

Aidenswarrior said:
have you contacted frozen cpu? i have dealt with them several times and never had any problems.

I too have dealt with Frozen CPU a number of times. I have never had a problem. Something is horribly wrong here.

Kampfzerstorer : Do you have any fans in your system at all? When i first started water cooling i removed all my fans and my temps were higher then air cooling. It turned out that my temp seneser was just not getting any air moved over it and was reporting high temps when infact the cpu was much lower.

You guys all seem so hell bent that I'm making this stuff up with frozen cpu :p . I ordered about $480.41 worth of stuff, the Thermaltake Bigwater 745, two dangerden maze 4-1 gpu blocks, 10 feet of tubing, extra coolant, and an OCZ power supply for the pelt and pump. Frozencpu had to ship the order from two or three different warehouses. The Thermaltake came first as it shipped from here in southern cali, and everything except for the two gpu blocks came later that week. The gpu blocks haven't arrived yet. Its been a week and a half. I sent them an email asking for a tracking number or info about it. No response. I really wish I were inventing colorful stories because that'd mean I have my stuff.

I'm not running the TEC yet, I was waiting to see how this setup did before I put the extra strain on it. I have not removed any of my fans.

As for the cpu block from DD, I dunno it just looks kinda scratched up like someone dropped it off the end of their truck or somethin. I don't really care as long as it works, was just a bit surprised thats all.

Ok, just got off the phone with Frozencpu, they had the gpu blocks made at dangerden, and dangerden was supposed to ship them out to me, but instead shipped them out to new york to frozencpu. They're having them priority shipped today. So it wasn't frozencpu's fault. Just a mix up in shipping.

Kampfzerstorer said:
Ok, just got off the phone with Frozencpu, they had the gpu blocks made at dangerden, and dangerden was supposed to ship them out to me, but instead shipped them out to new york to frozencpu. They're having them priority shipped today. So it wasn't frozencpu's fault. Just a mix up in shipping.
Thought so, they are good ppl.

Back