• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA minus one Customer!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
EVGA minus one Customer!!EDITED maybe not!

I traded my 6800GS in for the 7800GS using Evga step up program.
They send me a used card! No Antistatic bag! Bent bracket, and not suprisingly D.O.A. :bang head
If I have to pay any shipping on this RMA.process, I am really gonna lay into them. It was all I could do to not use bad language with the guy who answered the phone.He said I could crossship(which I did) but once I get the card they had better issue me a call tag.

BFG gets a new customer by default.
Rant over. Its just tough when you look forward to a new part and a company pulls this s. If it was just D.O.A. I woudn't even be upset.

Its hard to figure how they even got a broken one back from a customer so quick. :shrug: This almost seems like one for the better business bureau and Max PC's Watchdog. Now the Rants over.

Last edited:
You have to wonder what they were thinking? One possible explanation is someone in their shipping department did a little scam and took the new one and threw in a defective one. I can't imagine anyone is stupid enough to think they could get away with it, but you never know. I'll will be curious to here what they do now. Good luck with it.

dfonda said:
I traded my 6800GS in for the 7800GS using Evga step up program.
They send me a used card! No Antistatic bag! Bent bracket, and not suprisingly D.O.A. :bang head
If I have to pay any shipping on this RMA.process, I am really gonna lay into them. It was all I could do to not use bad language with the guy who answered the phone.He said I could crossship(which I did) but once I get the card they had better issue me a call tag.

BFG gets a new customer by default.
Rant over. Its just tough when you look forward to a new part and a company pulls this s. If it was just D.O.A. I woudn't even be upset.

Its hard to figure how they even got a broken one back from a customer so quick. :shrug: This almost seems like one for the better business bureau and Max PC's Watchdog. Now the Rants over.

Every company makes a mistake. I would be disappointed at the issue too, but I would be even more upset if the RMA process did not go smoothly.

This rant should be saved if eVGA drops the ball on the RMA; typically, they are pretty good about customer service.

deception``

deception`` said:
Every company makes a mistake. I would be disappointed at the issue too, but I would be even more upset if the RMA process did not go smoothly.

This rant should be saved if eVGA drops the ball on the RMA; typically, they are pretty good about customer service.

i agree, lets see how they process this RMA first before we can make judgment. I dont think they would purposely send a card in that condition. i would imagine you would get at least a new OEM card or more likely a full retail edition. From the details, if you have to send in all the components including the box and everything so in turn they should send you a retail edition, but i cant find where it says that anywhere, all it says it that they will send a "new" card to you.

Let us know how this turns out please. Ive had pretty good luck with eVGA fast Rebates, and Game Offer Shipments(Quake 4 & COD2 free w/ purchase of 2 of my cards)

They have shipped a new one thats due on the 22nd. Guess they didn't think it was important enough to ship overnight or two day! Their stock is slipping.

If I get one that is properly packaged it will ease the pain quite a bit though.

Will follow up here on the 22nd.

Nathan0490 said:
Let us know how this turns out please. Ive had pretty good luck with eVGA fast Rebates, and Game Offer Shipments(Quake 4 & COD2 free w/ purchase of 2 of my cards)
Same here got my 7800GT and their support staff was always more than happy to let me know how far along my copy of CoD2 was. Also the tech person said I could just email him insted of going though the automated system.

However let us know what happens with the new card.

Bad News:
Received a new 7800GS AGP today(2/22). Excactly the same problem just a bunch of colors across the screen. I did everything I could think of cleaned drivers left the drivers installed, safe mode ect ect. They did have a RA prepaid for me for the first
card so that was good!
Good News:
Called them up and the guy seemed genuinly upset that I had to go through this again.
I asked for any advice he might have for me that I hadn't tried. He right off the bat agreed it was the card.
He was going to send me one right out that he was going to test and package himself.
I asked if it would be a week, no he said you will have it tomorrow! I asked if he was sure because I already had 2 of their cards sitting on my floor.
They have stepped up to the plate well enough for me to be satisfied that eventually they will have happy customer.

One more try.

Thats great news! I know the feeling of anticipation when you buy a new component can be tought to contain....LOL.I've heard good things about eVGA's customer support, and thats what prompted me to buy my 6800GT from them.It was a little more expensive, but i would much rather spend the few extra $$ for the better support and service. Your lucky to have bought from them, you might not have gotten such good customer service with some other manufacturers.

Still no luck, all three cards looked the same colored jagged lines across the screen.
Apparently it is not compatible with my system.

An engineer had me change out my memory modules. Tried 1 module and got into windows. Thats the last time that happened tho. I could not get it to do it again.Tried PC 3200 and PC4000 in dual and single configuration...no luck.

At this point I would just like to my old 6800GS back.These cards mighta been released to soon. Sure would like to see a new driver show up from Nvidia!

Report back later.

dfonda said:
Evga forums in the community section have a thread with10 pages on these bad cards. Most of the folks have at least 2 RMA's.

Wow, it does sound like they tried to push these out the door a little early, doesn't it...

Cheers.

dfonda said:
Evga forums in the community section have a thread with10 pages on these bad cards. Most of the folks have at least 2 RMA's.

Are we talking just the Traded-In cards, or all 7800GSs? Wow that's some heavy stuff, I'd post a warning thread in Video Cards section if I were you, w/ a link to that Evga Forum thread.

jcw122 said:
Are we talking just the Traded-In cards, or all 7800GSs? Wow that's some heavy stuff, I'd post a warning thread in Video Cards section if I were you, w/ a link to that Evga Forum thread.
well some of the reviews at newegg are on new retail with the same problems...

wow, im very surprised to hear all of this. ive been so happy with my 7800gs so far and i dont think i couldve made a better purchase decision. so is this just because of an incompatability with some motherboards or what? :shrug:

blitzkrieg1110 said:
wow, im very surprised to hear all of this. ive been so happy with my 7800gs so far and i dont think i couldve made a better purchase decision. so is this just because of an incompatability with some motherboards or what? :shrug:

Ya never know, the one guy said the Evga Forum had a huge thread, so it could be anything from Evga Only cards, to dumb people not having powerful enough PSUs (me thinks Athlon-XP)

jcw122 said:
Ya never know, the one guy said the Evga Forum had a huge thread, so it could be anything from Evga Only cards, to dumb people not having powerful enough PSUs (me thinks Athlon-XP)
*sigh* maybe some of these people have POWmax psus lol that could always be the problem. btw dfonda, i know you dont lol just making a joke

Yeah I'd have to say that it does suck when you order soemthing, get it in, and it doesn't work or is the wrong item. But the important part here is that the company was quick to fix it.

I was curious about the first card that you said you got and it looked used. Did that come in a sealed retail box?

I know, for one, that they don't seem to always put the in antistatic bags...because my brand new 7800 GTX KO's from them were not in bags. But if it looked bent and clearly used...I wonder if someone pulled a "switcheroo" on them, by putting a junker in the box and resealing it. (not that I have ever done that or anything and would know anything about it....not that I had ever in my youth, purchased harddrives from a local store and replaced it with either an old crap drive....or one time even a block of wood! :) :) and then re-shrinkwrapped it and returned. In fact I'm pretty sure that I'm the reason that Western Digital now has shrink wrap with their name printed on it.) But like I said...that was my youth.

But back to the story at hand.... is it possible that this happend to you with the card, or was the card not even in retail looking form?

I sure hope to heck that the stepup program doesn't give you old/refurb hardware...because I'm gonna step up to the 7900's as soon as i can !
The thing that is gonna suck with that is that I don't have another PCIe vid card...so this machine will be incommunicado until the new cards come back. (I don't like that they don't allow any cross shipping for Step-ups)

Oh BTW, dfonda: when you installed the card...did you lower your OC to see if that was a possible culprit? Just an afterthought...I guess it doesnt really matter now anway :)

offtopic-
EvilCloudStrife: your sig hurts my eyes! ...and it actually looks like the text is moving. Kinda like when you look at a picture of black and white stripes together...or is that just me? I have had brain damage...so maybe that's it.
either way....Thanks for the headache! :) j/k does look cool tho!

Oh BTW, dfonda: when you installed the card...did you lower your OC to see if that was a possible culprit? Just an afterthought...I guess it doesnt really matter now anway

My OC had been off for all three cards.
Lets face when a card works right... a three year old can install it. When it doesn't you end up wasting a month doing everything and thinking its your fault.

They didn't call me back on my last call and email. I have been a complete gentelman through all this.

Now I simply want my old 6800GS back and a credit for this last 7800gs.

Back to the phone....http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11725

Last edited:
Back