• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox Image Display Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raven

For all of you who use Firefox 1.5.0.1, could you please go to http://www.konquest.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=580&st=40&hl=firefox and click on one of the attached images and see what comes up?

What is supposed to happen, and does happen with IE, is a window poping up displaying the attached picture. While using Firefox 1.5.0.1 (and Windows XP Pro fully updated) I get a new window displaying some type of code. (example below)
Code:
ÿØÿàJFIF``ÿÛC   $.' ",#(7),01444'9=82<.342ÿÛC  2!!22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222ÿÀÿĵ}V
‘v‡q&³¥\Ú¹Nµ—:ó^�]U§©¤aŠE85¸ö  h4áH¡Á«‹T×*[NÕ�@&"Ôcš�W3õ\š¹ Šõ«h+)0$EÀ©qMQÅ:³................and so on for many pages.

I would just like to confirm that this issue isn't isolated to my computer, and would like to get some advice on how to proceed to fix this problem. Any help is appriciated.

raven

This happens to mine. firefox 1.5 is all buggy. It freezes up my computer too.

Switched back to IE. No problems.

Last edited:
Ironically, Firefox is doing things properly from what I can tell.

Browsers are supposed to determine a file via content type specified in the header of a response if available, and that forum server seems to be (incorrectly) specifying text/html as the type. Firefox, following proper standards, renders the file as text. Internet explorer, not following standards, assumes it's an image based on the contents - which is in this particular case correct, despite being the technically incorrect response to such a situation...

In simpler terms: the server is calling the image a text file. MSIE incorrectly ignores this and thus, ironically, correctly renders the image. Firefox follows standards and renders it as text - because that's what the server says it is.

Thank you, you two, for confirming this, as I suspected as much.

I am still curious though. If many sites still represent picture files this way (as in not specifying it or incorrectly specifying it in the header), what would be the disadvantage to browsing if Firefox indeed did the same thing as IE (even though it is 'technically incorrect')?

raven said:
Thank you, you two, for confirming this, as I suspected as much.

I am still curious though. If many sites still represent picture files this way (as in not specifying it or incorrectly specifying it in the header), what would be the disadvantage to browsing if Firefox indeed did the same thing as IE (even though it is 'technically incorrect')?

The disadvantage is primarily be on MSIE's end - a server may send a document as text/plain, but IE notices that it contains what looks like html tags somewhere, and decides to try and render it as html...and other such irritating situations.

Firefox doing the same thing would end up with the same problem. It's somewhat a trade-off you could argue for either way on, but the development community behind firefox likes standards compliance...

Thanks princeofdarknes, but unfortunately that does not work for every picture as this one Here does not work for me.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'll have to find a workaround until everyone starts to use the laid out standards.

Last edited:
Back