• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble setting up a static ip address.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crimson1566

i'm following the directions of:
http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
When i type "ipconfig /all" into the comand prompt my default gateway and dns server numbers are the same and i only have one number for the dns server. What am i doing wrong? When i put these number values into the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties my internet connection won't work, actually i can't even close the window since i need 2 different DNS server numbers and my computer only gives me one. I'm using a Netgear router in conjunction w/dsl from Verison.
Any help is appreciated.

Just called verison to see if they could tell me the DNS server #'s, they basically started walking me through the whole run cmd and type ipconfig /all like i already did. The guy said that # is the # i have. Aren't i supposed to have 2 DNS server #'s. Someone please enlighten me as this isn't my forte.

You shouldn't need 2 DNS servers if the one you have entered in is working.

If your internet isn't working its likely the connection between your PC and your router.

I dont follow..? if you have a router at home running DHCP all you have to do is assign your computer what ever IP that is currently not being used and is in the DHCP range, for example my server box I have set as 192.168.1.20. It never changes, all my other computers just regular DHCP and get different IP's as they are rebooted.

You dont need 2 DNS servers...the second one is only if the first DNS fails. I have both confgured in my router but it makes no difference.

Back