• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Mother board = Buy new License

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yep, with an OEM install, if you change the mobo to a DIFFERENT model, your license is dust. If you had a failed mobo and replaced it with the same model, your license would be fine.

just call them, when you activate and say your motherboard died and needed to be replaced, or tell them it was an upgrade. Has worked in the past with me. Or switch to linux

Do what dicecca112 said. I work at a techshop and we have to do that all the time. We just call them up and go "Hi, my name is bla bla at the bla bla stores technical servicers, customers machine needed a motherboard replaced and we needa reactivate windows" and it works every time, never seen them *****. You could just say that so you have more leverage than just a random person, they never ask for verification.

p.s. and thats what ya get when ya feed the commies and use their legit products ;)

Last edited:
Wenty said:
Microsoft = Communist
Somebody needs to:
  • Learn the definition of Communism, and why Microsoft = Capitalist
  • Stop buying OEM Windows.
Don't complain about something you (for all intensive purposes) got for free with a system. And yes, if you actually explain the situation to a customer service rep, they will give you a new key. Just don't plan on trying the same trick again...

its not a trick, its installing on the same system, I am always, well was, dont use windows anymore, straight with them, and they understand.

shellshock said:
yes, or if they ask, "has this copy of windows has been installed before?" Just say no. It works everytime

Well, if you are being forced to call and activate, that is pretty much a red flag that yes you have installed this before, and your old Activation was substantially different enough to make you re-activate online, and then the online activation checks MS's 3-month database of WPA/CD-Key cross reference, and forces you to call if it is different from what MS has on file (at least that is how I understand the activation to work - and I think I have a handle on the whole process). I would think saying this would make them VERY suspicious.

Simply waiting 3 months between OEM installs/activations will allow you to re-install and activate ONLINE the same OEM CD-Key on any system you want - not that I'd ever do that ;) . MS's 3-month WPA.dbl/CD-Key cross reference database is apparently overwritten, and a fresh install has no way to compare the "old" WPA.dbl to your current config's WPA.dbl.

I have had to call and re-activate 3 or 4 times. As long as you tell them it is indeed on the same system (not a lie), and only on 1 PC (not a lie), you will be fine.

:cool:

Last edited:
M$ HA!!!

futura2001 said:
Somebody needs to:
  • Learn the definition of Communism, and why Microsoft = Capitalist
  • Stop buying OEM Windows.

I agree that M$ is capitalist, but by common definition, meaning what is used in convorsation, communist means "a person or orginisation that has views or works in a way that does not agree with a person or persons.

dicecca112 said:
just call them, when you activate and say your motherboard died and needed to be replaced, or tell them it was an upgrade. Has worked in the past with me. Or switch to linux
I have the same problem so I switched to linux but there are some things that linux cant do. like opening PAR files for example.

Wenty said:
Microsoft = Communist

I just bought a new board and I found out about this today. :mad:
No, if Microsoft were Communist, their software would be open source and available to all US citizens for cheap/free, and Bill Gates would fly Southwest everywhere. Microsoft is a fasicstic capitalist organization. :)

Lt_Horn said:
I agree that M$ is capitalist, but by common definition, meaning what is used in convorsation, communist means "a person or orginisation that has views or works in a way that does not agree with a person or persons.
You must be a product of American schooling! :p jk

Captain Newbie said:
You must be a product of American schooling! :p jk
So true. Glad I went to a private school that had us actually read the *gasp* Communist Manifesto. I found it very, very amusing at the time that public schools didn't include it in their curriculum, and it was the people that actually paid to send their children to school that were taught Marxism.
Yes, the people who profited the most off the capitalist system can afford to send their children to private schools that supposedly offer a higher standard of education and include such "pinko left wing" anti-capitalist philosophies such as communism.

futura2001 said:
So true. Glad I went to a private school that had us actually read the *gasp* Communist Manifesto. I found it very, very amusing at the time that public schools didn't include it in their curriculum, and it was the people that actually paid to send their children to school that were taught Marxism.
Yes, the people who profited the most off the capitalist system can afford to send their children to private schools that supposedly offer a higher standard of education and include such "pinko left wing" anti-capitalist philosophies such as communism.

I like the idea of Communism, where people work for the common good. Commune, community, that sort of thing. It just doesn't seem to work very well in practice because people are pretty selfish.

well put, but lets stay on the Microsoft are total scumbags track, because not even the mods can attempt to disagree with that, whereas debating communism will just get the thread closed.

I have an ASUS P5WD2 Premium and i have activated Windows XP OEM over the internet with no problems, but when i enabled the ITE IDE controller in the bios and reinstalled Windows XP OEM i wasn't able to activate over the internet, i had to phone Microsoft to get it activated and i didn't have any problems getting the activation code.
So when you replace your motherboard and you have to phone Microsoft to activate Windows XP OEM just tell them that all you have done is enabled something in the bios and you can't activate Windows over the internet and this is the reason you have had to phone them.

>HyperlogiK< said:
well put, but lets stay on the Microsoft are total scumbags track, because not even the mods can attempt to disagree with that, whereas debating communism will just get the thread closed.

First, a linky OC front page article on the actual subject of the thread. That said, or rather, linked, I have to say that I like Microsoft. I'm a Windows (and net) developer and have used VB and now VB.Net for many years. I love it. Of course, I also loved every other language that I've programmed in but I really love DotNet.

I don't pan Microsoft for trying to get paid for their software; I like to get paid also. Nobody does my cabinets for free just because I write some free software.

Tomorrow I'm going to spend from 9am to 6pm at Microsoft's NY headquarters attending free classes on DotNet. Plus, we get fed. So, the money comes to ME. Well, a little bit of it. That's sort of in the way of a conflict of interest disclosure.

Mostly their software is pretty good. Mine isn't bug free either; no program much more complicated than Hello World is going to be bug free. One thing to always keep in mind when discussing the big Microsoft lawsuit is that, prior to the lawsuit, Microsoft never gave a dime to politicians. Their opponents (Sun, etc) had given a great deal. Microsoft then started greasing palms and all of a sudden the lawsuit is settled pretty favorably. That's the real poop on the lawsuit.

never install anything but a corporate version. any hardware changes made to an oem will eventually require reactivation. When this happened to me & I had to call them & they gave me a hard time I told the guy screw it I'll just bypass your bull**** activation-he's like "how are you going to do that??? (duhh) & then I hung up. I still have my oem xp pro disc. Makes a pretty coaster. What's better is that it was given to me by an old lady I worked for who didn't want to bother with upgrading from millenium.

Lt_Horn said:
M$ HA!!!

Erm, no.. In Normal Conversation it means "An economics system that is based upon the society owning everything, and individuals owning nothing"

Edit: Lol, and I see I'm too late....

Anyway, Yea, I like my Mac OS X 10.4... You don't need to reinstall.

I admit that "communist" has acquired something of a slang definition, just as a generally derogatory label, e.g. "they wouldn't let me excange it for another copy, the communists!"

Back