• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help accessing protected files...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPUonNO2

So, a friend came to me with a dilemma and I can't seem to find a way around it short of semi-drastic measures. He had an old emachines that he's since sent the way of the dodo, saving only the hard drive so he could copy over his old files (mp3's, etc...) Unfortunately, he had a number of windows security protections set up on these directories, and now they cant be accessed through windows. All I get is an error that says "[directory name] is not accessable. Acess Denied." I have it installed as a slave, as it can't be installed as a primary drive because the e-machines bundled OS won't allow it to boot from anything but the original emachines. So here I sit trying to figure out how to recover these files. The only options that come to mind off the top of my head are: 1) format the drive and use recovery software. or 2) install dos. Does anyone have any better ideas? Thanks in advance.

Try Overclockix, or Knoppix, run from the cdrom but might be able to move the files to a different hard drive then recover them thru windows?

yeah, that's exactly what I was gonna say, take ownership of the file, that should work, i had the same problem a few weeks ago

Back