• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 Pro-- Is the activation like XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCheat

Im looking for a copy of windows where I can install it on 3 different PC's without having to buy three different copies of an OS.

Is the Windows 2000 Pro activation as thorough as the XP activation? Will I be able to install it on all three PC's with the same Product Key, or will I have to resort to a linux based OS?

Thanks ahead of time--

The Cheat

TheCheat said:
Im looking for a copy of windows where I can install it on 3 different PC's without having to buy three different copies of an OS.
What you want to do is illegal, but doable.
And asking that question on a public forum is...well...dumb.

billb said:
What you want to do is illegal, but doable.
And asking that question on a public forum is...well...dumb.

I was told by someone, like 6 months ago- that 2k pro wasn't like XP in the activation process.

Sorry for asking...

TheCheat said:
I was told by someone, like 6 months ago- that 2k pro wasn't like XP in the activation process.

Sorry for asking...

It will never know if it's on more than one machine... but it is against the EULA. One rig per OS.

Windows 2000 does NOT require activation. The OS was released in 1999, when the concept of "activation" was more absurd than it is now.

I adopted the OS early and i still use it; I like it better than XP and this vista.

try froogle for windows2000 licenses, but they are not as cheap as they should be. microsoft has basically disowned the OS and its price should reflect that.

I was seeing if i could get away with just spending 89$ (2kpro) instead of 300$ Or 268$ if you buy a "value pack" for xp.

I'd rather spend 89$, and have a not so pretty OS, than spend $268.

*shrugs* oh well.

What you have to realize here is that we are protecting the forum, and no one is going to recommend that you cheat on software. Costs you more originally, but you got more out of it, and you also avoided problems with Administration.

Back