• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[NEWS] Will Apple Adopt Windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

Mm, their are some intersting points made in the article... and since IBM did it.... why not apple ?

Be sure to read the pc mag article

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Apple to 'Switch' to Windows? |
| from the we-all-scoffed-at-an-intel-move-too dept. |
| posted by CmdrTaco on Thursday February 16, @14:00 (Operating Sys|
| http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/02/16/1826257 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

[0]JFlex writes "PC Mags writer John C. Dvorak discusses the idea that
[1]Apple may dump OS X and 'switch' to running Windows in a recent
column: "The idea that Apple would ditch its own OS for Microsoft Windows
came to me from Yakov Epstein, a professor of psychology at Rutgers
University, who wrote to me convinced that the process had already begun.
I was amused, but after mulling over various coincidences, I'm convinced
he may be right. This would be the most phenomenal turnabout in the
history of desktop computing.""

Discuss this story at:
http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=06/02/16/1826257

Links:
0. mailto:[email protected]
1. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1923151,00.asp

Will Apple Adopt Windows?

This would be the most phenomenal turnabout in the history of desktop computing. There's just one fly in the ointment.

By John C. Dvorak
The idea that Apple would ditch its own OS for Microsoft Windows came to me from Yakov Epstein, a professor of psychology at Rutgers University, who wrote to me convinced that the process had already begun. I was amused, but after mulling over various coincidences, I'm convinced he may be right. This would be the most phenomenal turnabout in the history of desktop computing.

Epstein made four observations. The first was that the Apple Switch ad campaign was over, and nobody switched. The second was that the iPod lost its FireWire connector because the PC world was the new target audience. Also, although the iPod was designed to get people to move to the Mac, this didn't happen. And, of course, that Apple had switched to the Intel microprocessor.

Though these points aren't a slam-dunk for Epstein's thesis, other observations support it. The theory explains several odd occurrences, including Apple's freak-out and lawsuits over Macintosh gossip sites that ran stories about a musicians' breakout box that has yet to be shipped. Like, who cares?

But if Apple's saber-rattling was done to scare the community into backing off so it wouldn't discover the Windows stratagem, then the incident makes more sense. As does Bill Gates's onscreen appearance during Apple's turnaround when Jobs was taking a pot of money from Microsoft. The Windows stratagem may have been a done deal by then. This may also explain the odd comment at the Macworld Expo by a Microsoft spokesperson that Microsoft Office will continue to be developed for the Mac for "five years." What happens after that?

This switch to Windows may have originally been planned for this year and may partly explain why Adobe and other high-end apps were not ported to the Apple x86 platform when it was announced in January. At Macworld, most observers said that these new Macs could indeed run Windows now

Bigger companies than Apple have dropped their proprietary OSs in favor of Windows—think IBM and OS/2. IBM also jumped on the Linux bandwagon over its own AIX version of Unix. Business eventually trumps sentimentality in any large company.

Another issue for Apple is that the Intel platform is wide open, unlike the closed proprietary system Apple once had full control over. With a proprietary architecture, Apple could tweak the OS for a controlled environment without worrying about the demands of a multitude of hardware add-ons and software subsystems. Windows, as crappy as many believe it to be, actually thrives in this mishmash architecture. Products, old and new, have drivers for Windows above all else. By maintaining its own OS, Apple would have to suffer endless complaints about peripherals that don't work.

As someone who believed that the Apple OS x86 could gravitate toward the PC rather than Windows toward the Mac, I have to be realistic. It boils down to the add-ons. Linux on the desktop never caught on because too many devices don't run on that OS. It takes only one favorite gizmo or program to stop a user from changing. Chat rooms are filled with the likes of "How do I get my DVD burner to run on Linux?" This would get old fast at Apple.

Apple has always said it was a hardware company, not a software company. Now with the cash cow iPod line, it can afford to drop expensive OS development and just make jazzy, high-margin Windows computers to finally get beyond that five-percent market share and compete directly with Dell, HP, and the stodgy Chinese makers.

To preserve the Mac's slick cachet, there is no reason an executive software layer couldn't be fitted onto Windows to keep the Mac look and feel. Various tweaks could even improve the OS itself. From the Mac to the iPod, it's the GUI that makes Apple software distinctive. Apple popularized the modern GUI. Why not specialize in it and leave the grunt work to Microsoft? It would help the bottom line and put Apple on the fast track to real growth.

The only fly in the ointment will be the strategic difficulty of breaking the news to the fanatical users. Most were not initially pleased by the switch to Intel's architecture, and this will make them crazy.

Luckily, Apple has a master showman, Steve Jobs. He'll announce that now everything can run on a Mac. He'll say that the switch to Windows gives Apple the best of both worlds. He'll say this is not your daddy's Windows. He'll cajole and cajole, and still hear a few boos. But those will be the last boos he'll hear, for then the Mac will be mainstream. We will welcome the once-isolated Apple mavens, finally.

SGI did it all at once with the 320 and 540 line, of which I am currently thinking of buying. Not only did they switch the hardware inside to Intel P-IIIs, they switched the OS to Windows.
They managed to get away with it by developing their own custom chipset that was heavily optimized for graphical work and rendering polys.

Apple is another story though. Apple doesn't specialize like SGI, and last I checked you cannot optimize a chipset for snobbiness. Okay, yeah, I suppose if Steve Jobs says that it is optimized for snobbiness, the appletards will believe it. But they are already entrenched in their own little world, and it is new customers that Apple needs.
What would be more "realistic" (and by realistic, I mean 'expect this to happen the day after Jimmy Hoffa is found') would be for Apple to (mostly) get out of the OS business, concentrate on their hardware, and develop a custom shell for Vista and some heavily Apple Hardware dependent drivers. Sell it at a premium over the "normal" Windows that us commonfolk use, and give their lifetime users the one fingered salute.
Or you know, they could just continue to bastardize FreeBSD and Linux for free...

OS-X is far more stable than windows in my experience...I'm not an apple fanboy, I have an ibook for my schoolwork and my computer in my sig at home. the only reason IMO people buy apples is for the OS. it makes no sense at all for apple to drop OS-X for windows...

hookem2oo7 said:
OS-X is far more stable than windows in my experience...I'm not an apple fanboy, I have an ibook for my schoolwork and my computer in my sig at home. the only reason IMO people buy apples is for the OS. it makes no sense at all for apple to drop OS-X for windows...

People buy them because they're slick looking.

hookem2oo7 said:

Unfortuantly no, most people buy apple as said for the looks and marketing - apple tends to cater to the "cultured" poeople as some might say - i would take a guess that %80 of apple owner know JACK about the O/S except it looks nice, just as %80 of Windows owners know jack about the O/S and like it cause it works and it is what they are used to.

if apple dumps thier OS then there would really not be much of a reason to buy a Mac since PC's are SOOO much cheaper. however if they allow thier OS to spread to PC's, then i could see it being used by plenty of people who want it, but not the price that goes with it. the side effect of this is that windows would prbly become avalible for the mac.

i wish Mac would release an OS for the PC that was compatable wiht current games and such and accually give MS a decent competetion.

They're not appletard's or mac users, they're Macolytes! Apple will never switch over to windows. OS X is functionally superior for their userbase. It just wouldn't make sense. Dvorak is a known crackpot.

MaStA said:
Mac users may be ticked about this...since most I talk to are biased to the Mac OS.

Jared

Most are biased because they dont know any better - it is the same people who think dell is nothing but crap! when really they arent

they have "heard" from all their friends it sucks, or stinks instead of finding out on their own they jump the bandwagon.

Mr.Guvernment said:
Most are biased because they dont know any better - it is the same people who think dell is nothing but crap! when really they arent

they have "heard" from all their friends it sucks, or stinks instead of finding out on their own they jump the bandwagon.

Well dell has gone to crap since all their tech support is in India or something. Can't understand them and they have no clue what they are talking about. Sorry to come off rude, but someone needs to speak my language fluently for me to be happy with tech support.

Jared

MaStA said:
Well dell has gone to crap since all their tech support is in India or something. Can't understand them and they have no clue what they are talking about. Sorry to come off rude, but someone needs to speak my language fluently for me to be happy with tech support.

Jared

I agree with you 100% here. Unfortunately I think it's something that we're going to have to deal with more and more in the future

Joe

Apple will never drop the Mac OS for Windows. It looks much more likely to me that Apple is prepairing to (or at least seriously considering) sell OSX for mainstream PC hardware. That would instantly give them probably hundreds of millions of potential customers who might not be willing to drop $2000 on a Mac but might be willing to drop $100 on the OS.

Mac should just dual boot! Windows and OSX on a mac would make it alot more appealing.

OSX on PC's would become buggier than Windows LOL.

Can you imagine all the driver problems and platform nightmares... OSX has no driver base besides the strictly controlled Mac platforms. Also it wouldn't be no 100bucks for OSX. Apple would charge the standard premium for using such a status symbol.

those points seem very weak

i haven't read anything (nor was any evidence presented) that suggests apples 'switch' ads weren't effective or that they are doing poorly.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=1y&s=AAPL&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=msft

the ipod losing firewire is a simple way to cut costs. in the begining there was firewire. they wanted to expand, and adding USB was a great way to do that. now they need to pay for 2 different interfaces. why not keep the one that is universal (USB) and drop the one that only a small fraction has (firewire)? thats just common sense.

microsoft office for the next 5 years? and that means that after that they're dropping osx? come on, that is quite the speculation. maybe apple is working on their own program? maybe microsoft is losing interest? maybe they just haven't planned that far? maybe the rep was just pulling a number out of his ***.

apple trying to keep things locked down? its a very very far reach to say its only because they are trying to keep a secret further down the road. and that secret is microsoft. come on... one of apples unique practices is releasing things and having it available right away. rumors and such remove a key facet of this. the surprise. the way they run, i think clamping down is a good move. it keeps their releases spontaneous and exciting. much more anticipation.

when i started reading, i thought maybe there would be some logical arguments. this seems like complete bull****, though. these arguments are very far-fetched and barely cling together.

Ssetre said:
OSX on PC's would become buggier than Windows LOL.

Can you imagine all the driver problems and platform nightmares... OSX has no driver base besides the strictly controlled Mac platforms. Also it wouldn't be no 100bucks for OSX. Apple would charge the standard premium for using such a status symbol.

You're right, but that is why Apple is doing it themselves, slowly at first with just supporting their Intel machines. After a while they will have mass driver support and be ready for prime time.

Apple currently charges $129 for a copy of OS X. I'd expect it to stay about the same. However, all of this is just a theory of mine, but I think it could happen. It seems more likely than the theory suggested in this article.

Back