• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd problem with the desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sliver

My friend is trying to help someone with XP. I'll cut and paste the conversation we had.

I have a computer question, ya there?\
Sliver says:
yes
Sliver says:
well
Sliver says:
I am nopw
Sliver says:
*now
Kelin says:
kk
Kelin says:
Ok, a person at work has a problem with thier home computer
Kelin says:
I said id take a look, and Ihave it here now, they brought it to work.
Sliver says:
cool
Kelin says:
..... the thing is, I got no friggen clue HOW the hell this happened, or how to fix it. The problem: you know in windows XP, when you open up a hard drive window, how there is information bar on the side?
Sliver says:
yes
Kelin says:
Well.... the question is, we need to get rid of it. But NOT the one in the window.
Kelin says:
It somehow.... is taking up the left side of the desktop.
Sliver says:
???
Kelin says:
Its permanently there, no folders open
Sliver says:
That is so weird.
Sliver says:
what have you tried so far?
Kelin says:
Yeah.... the desktop has that whole left side with the bar, the icons are moved out of the way, it doesnt seem to be movable or right clickable. When you do highlight an icon, it offers all the normal options in the side
Kelin says:
Tried... everything I could think of. All different properties, checking the file settings, killing explorere and starting it back up, killing all background processes, checking msconfig to see if its a startup option.
Kelin says:
So Im basically at a loss
Sliver says:
you right clicked the desktop and messed around with the properties?
Kelin says:
yeah
Sliver says:
you asked him if he installed any windows mods? like window blinds?
Kelin says:
doesnt have any. What happened is one day, kids were on her computer, and it was just like that.

So does anyone know how to fix this?

Back