• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, i can't install windows XP because of a sata problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bestmaxx

Well i just bought a new pc:
Sapphire Crossfire board
Sapphire x1900 master card
Sapphire x1900xtx secondary
2gb (2x1gb) pc4000 Gskill 3-4-4-8 ram
1X 36GIG raptor
AMD 3500+ 64

When i attempt to install windows xp pro (its a pre SP edition) so there is no service pack on it, windows get to the part where it tells me to press enter to pick harddrive to install windows to, something else for System recovery, and exit to cancel.. Well when i hit enter to choose the HD, i get a screen that says " windows can not detect an installed hard drive, please check cables blah blah " Well i know the harddrive works, because when i go into the bios and click on my sata controller, i can see a 36gig raptor. So what do i do?

You need SP-1a or SP-2. You might be able to get around this by getting the SATA drivers on a Floppy, and using "F6" during Setup/Install...

I highly recommend SLipstreaming SP-2 onto your Install CD. It makes for a cleaner, quicker instal, with less chance of issues IMO.

:cool:

Download the latest SATA Drivers from the manufactures website and put them on a floppy like Randyman... suggested. That should solve your problem.

Shouldn't of got them on a floppy with his motherboard I did when I purchased my AOPEN board 2 years ago. I updated the original disk with the latest ones. The only problem I have when I do a format and install the SATA drivers before set-up get's to the hard drive choice section. Is that once it's scanned the floppy I have 3 choices which now are all XP versions they used to have Windows ME, 2000 & XP but the driver must be for XP only.

AngelfireUk83 said:
Shouldn't of got them on a floppy with his motherboard I did when I purchased my AOPEN board 2 years ago. I updated the original disk with the latest ones. The only problem I have when I do a format and install the SATA drivers before set-up get's to the hard drive choice section. Is that once it's scanned the floppy I have 3 choices which now are all XP versions they used to have Windows ME, 2000 & XP but the driver must be for XP only.
Don't take me wrong, but on a fresh install, after a reformat, the only options should be what OS you are installing. It sounds as if when you do an install that its reading all the options instead of which one you need. I would recommend that if this continues try a BIOS update. I'm not sure if this will help, but if you completely reformat, then try a new install, this might work..

Back