• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home network bandwidth limiters?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlahsMemory

Hi is there a way to actually limit a PC from taking up all the bandwidth from another PC on a home network. My problem is that I share a network with 3 other ppl and one of them seems to always at times take up massive bandwidth at any random time so it lags me in my online gaming and its fustrating. Ive complained to the guy and he is being an *** he will turn it down for 1 hour and next thing I know my comp is only using 10k out of the 450k and I m in the middle of a battle within a party. Well I just want to know if I can get a computer on the network to get limited bandwidth remotely or if I can get my computer to get priority all the time. I hate this..

Netlimiter works good but it has to be run on the machine you wish to be limited. And he can always take the limit off at any time. Im not sure of anything that can control the limit of another computer remotely. Atleast not cheap.

If you are using a wrt54g with 3rd party firmware I believe you can do it. I am not sure details but I am sure someone else will reply or you can check the 3rd party firmware websites for more info.

Like Kendan said if you use a WRT54g you can use a firmware like http://www.dd-wrt.org/ I know you can use QoS to limit the bandwidth for each port individually. Or set it so that a certain service or game gets priority.

Good Luck

Back