• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Open File - Security Warning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Every time I open a file I get this warning and unchecking the box that says "Always ask before opening this file" doesn't help. How do I remove this warning for all files? Never had this problem before sp2...

Assuming you're running the Pro version of XP... Start | Run | Type gpedit.msc, and click OK | Expand the following branch:

Local Computer Policy | User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Attachment Manager

... and check out the settings (right click each setting and choose Properties) for these two policies:

'Default risk level for file attachments' and 'Inclusion list for low file types'. You can also right click the desired file(s), click Properties and select Unblock (if present). I believe you could also accomplish the same thing by opening IE | Tools | Internet Options | 'Security' tab | Local Intranet | 'Sites' button, then uncheck the first and third boxes. In addition, the following MSKB article may be of some help to you...

Description of how the Attachment Manager works in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883260

Last edited:
Well I thougth that would fix it but it didnt, I keep getting this stupid warning every time I open anything. I am running XP Home w/sp2...

Check in the registry under the following key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Internet Settings | Zones | 3

Change the following two DWORD Values to 1000 (Hexadecimal), then reboot...

MinLevel and RecommendedLevel ...the default Value data for both is 11000 in Hex, and 69632 in Decimal. Also, you didn't mention whether or not you tried unchecking the first and third boxes in the Intranet zone.

Last edited:
Did what you said above but still receiving the error every time I open a video file. I tried googling the search "Open File Security Warning" but every result dealt with network share folders. This is very annoying, here's a pic

Back