• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro 64 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I read the sticky but I don't know if I HAVE to use XP64 on my (proposed) new opteron 165 based system. Can I still use good old 32bit XP-Pro.

I already have the 64 version from an MSDN subscription. Plus the Vista 64 so I might try that out as well, either dual boot or just different boot drives.

Since XP64 is based on 2003, will I have problems with software that doesn't like running on server systems, like the antivirus software? I once installed 2003 enterprise and none of my antivirus software would run.

Thanks for any pointers. The purpose of this new PC is to be my server, bittorrent client, and audio/video center. It is going to be up around the clock.

Any 32 or 64 bit OS will run on it, been running xp64 for close to 8 months now, haven't run into any software problems yet, it is based off 2003...but runs/feels just like 32 bit xp pro to me. (aside from being more reliable for me anyways)

fight556 said:
Any 32 or 64 bit OS will run on it, been running xp64 for close to 8 months now, haven't run into any software problems yet, it is based off 2003...but runs/feels just like 32 bit xp pro to me. (aside from being more reliable for me anyways)

Thanks, I'll likely run the 64 bit then. If I have it, why not use it? Besides, I'm coming close to the license limit of XP; I think 64 is a different limit.

How is the availability of drivers now that it has been out for a while? I remember when it was first introduced people got annoyed with the lack of support from hardware companies

MightyJoe said:
How is the availability of drivers now that it has been out for a while? I remember when it was first introduced people got annoyed with the lack of support from hardware companies

Pretty good. I didn't run into a lack of drivers really, with the exception of drivers for microsoft mice (lol), and then daemon tools was only for 32 bit. Both are avialable for 64 bit now.

Overall, I used x64 since November, and I like it a lot. I find it a lot more stable than Windows XP. It never freezes up. The only problems I've had is when I overclock too much, underload it will just reboot, but other than that no problem.

Here and there sometimes a program will lock it up, but then it eventually closes, and all is good, not like XP.

Back