• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can OC'ing mess up the OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I haven't used Windows much in a long time, but overclocking can easily mess up any operating system.

If components are pushed too hard, they will have errors that prevent them from function properly and the system won't boot at all.
If things are pushed a bit less, but still more than somethnig can take, the OS may start running correctly, but eventually crap out.

This is why people use programs like Prime95 (or Folding, or Seti) to really work a system HARD while overclocked: to check the stability of the overclocked system.

Just how long it takes to have a problem, and how severe the results of the problem are depend on a lot of factors but it can easily be anywhere from a web browser crashing to corrupted system files that need to be replaced.
Most commonly, even if system files are corrupted, slowing the overclock down a bit will get things working again, but if the oc is too high, or you boot too many times and get a BSOD, you may actually need to replace those system files by doing a repair or a new install.

rogerdugans said:
I haven't used Windows much in a long time, but overclocking can easily mess up any operating system.

If components are pushed too hard, they will have errors that prevent them from function properly and the system won't boot at all.
If things are pushed a bit less, but still more than somethnig can take, the OS may start running correctly, but eventually crap out.

This is why people use programs like Prime95 (or Folding, or Seti) to really work a system HARD while overclocked: to check the stability of the overclocked system.

Just how long it takes to have a problem, and how severe the results of the problem are depend on a lot of factors but it can easily be anywhere from a web browser crashing to corrupted system files that need to be replaced.
Most commonly, even if system files are corrupted, slowing the overclock down a bit will get things working again, but if the oc is too high, or you boot too many times and get a BSOD, you may actually need to replace those system files by doing a repair or a new install.

Wow, thats sooo true. when u think your at a nice overclock, test it with prime95 for 24 some odd hours, if its still running..your good ..well we hope

when your overclocking to get to what you think is good.. look for a program called super pi. do the 1M or 2M sizes , if you dont get any errors when doing that your simi stable, 16M if you think you want to keep this clock.. casue it takes alittle bit of time.. you try doing pi to 16million numbers..

also watch your temps... sometimes afew programs i know will shutdown your computer if it reachs to high, like 65-75+. rule..never go above 60 and if u can try 50.

It's possible for O/C'ing to mess up your programs as mentioned. OC'ing pushes your hardware faster than it's registered to go. If you go too far, it can cause unstability and crash programs, cause wierd errors and sometimes corrupt data. I recently was doing some OC'ing and my raid array didn't like it too much so it would bluescreen when the temps got a bit high, so I had to decrease my clocks some. So, yes, it can do damage to your software, only because the hardware is being pushed too far.

Yes, having my memory overclocked too high has caused Windows to corrupt. That is why it is very important to make sure your RAM configuration is stable by using Memtest86+ before booting into Windows.

Thanks, guys. I thought as much.

I have tried to push my oc too quick, I think. I have backed off for now, but I will evenually reload the OS. I just hope that I have not damaged anu components (probably not, as I did not really get that brutal).

Thanks again

Overclocking can most definitely corrupt your OS installation. If the memory and hard rive controllers are pushed too hard then the OS files start to get corrupted during writes and eventually it gets so bad that the OS can't correct them and ceases to function. Try Memtest86+ and see how your memory is doing.
http://www.memtest.org/

In the light of your comments, then - would it be safe to assume that:
1) overclocking a bit too aggressively could corrupt the os to a degree that..
2) once you backed down on the OC a bit - the OS would do fine...
3) but the minute you would try to get the OC back up to where it was - you would/could/might encounter problems related to the partially coruppted OS,
and not to hardware?

I hope this discussion helps others, as it is helping me. :p
Thanks

If your OS is even partially corrupted, it might still boot up and such but you'll encounter problems of thing not quite working right. Backing down your OC might prevent further damage but you still might be better off doing a reinstall or a repair console session from your install CD (as long as it's the same SP as your installation) Any hardware damage would be from heat or excess voltage damage and that can't be repaired TTBOMK.

Overclocking damage pretty much falls into two main categories, each of which have sub-categories. Bear with me here- this WILL make sense in a minute. ;)

Software-
1) Pushed slightly too hard- stability issues. This usually does NOT cause long-term damage; a reboot with more conservative settings is usually sufficient for complete repair.
2) Pushed a bit too hard over a long period- eventually, the software may become too corrupt to "repair itself" and re-installation is required when the system no longer functions.
3) Pushed way too hard and the system gets hosed. Repair or reinstall the os is needed to boot successfully.

Hardware-
1) something just won't work at a given OC. (Usually NOT fatal in my experience, it just won't work.)
2) Something works for a while then craps out. This may end up damaging the hardware eventually.
3) Pushed to hard/too much voltage, etc.: something dies. Most of the time, this is fatal. Occasionally folks get lucky and are able to repair. This is pretty rare.

Note that software failures are almost always the first to occur as overclock speed increases. This means that thorough testing at each step of the overclocking process can reduce the chances of fatal damage to hardware.
Increase speed in small increments. Test it with Prime, SuperPi or whatever.

My routine for a system is pretty much this:
1)Build, install OS and overclock the daylights out of it to find the best stable settings.
2)Wipe out the test installation and do a clean install. This makes certain that anything in the software that was slightly screwed up by the process of finding the best OC settings is just not an issue. :)

Yeah, it takes a while.
Yeah, I have had heavily overclocked systems that ran just fine 24/7 for long periods without issues.
The above procedure is probably why. :)

Back