• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win XP Repair Function

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dsherm112

When using the XP repair function, what do you use for an administrative password if you did not use a password when you set up windows? I left the PW Blank and now I need to use the repair function and it's requiring a PW. What do I do?

Thanks, Sherm

During the original setup, you are asked to provide one(I don't mean during the WXP portion). Honestly, I think you might have to start from scratch, but there are a couple of guys here that might have a bettter solution.

A repair install shouldn't have required a password... like bchur83 mentioned, it sounds as though you booted from the CD and used the first "Repair" option. That doesn't take you to a Repair Install, rather it takes you to the Recovery Console. You should not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", but instead accept the License Agreement... and Windows will then search for existing Windows installations. You can then select the XP installation you want to repair from the list, and press R to start the repair.

Last edited:
Back