• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Limiter or No Connectivity error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tazon

I just reinstalled windowsXP on my office PC, and applied SP2. This PC has the onboard ethernet of the abit NF7-S for the local network and also a d-link PCI network card for connecting to an ADSL modem. On both connections i get the "limited or No connectivity" error. both connections work fine, i have some stuff like hardware protection for software and virus protection running from this PC to the local network and they all work great, and the internet connection works too. But i still get this error. I did a serach and found it seems to be a problem asociated with SP2, with no clear resolution so far. Can anyone confirm or deny this? so far my solution is to turn off the taskbar notification of this problem but i get a nagging feeling about letting an error slip :D . . .

emilio

I would first look to a physical problem. Every time I have seen this issue it was resolved by replacing one of the following components:
1. Damaged ethernet cable
2. Defective DSL/Cable modem
3. Defective network card

Could it be the card is only using 10MBps when it could use 100? That's "limited connectivity" for a 100MBps card. Autosensing doesn't always work. Same with FullDuplex

Also, most older ADSL modems have a 10 meg connection since they dont really need 100 meg. I know my old one did but this is dating about 4 or 5 years back even with a 3meg down connection from verizon.

i get limited or no connectivity when i do a direct connection into a hub or switch, but if there's a router it goes away... makes no difference for preformance anyway, its probably just a packet sensor

i doubt it is hardware, since i have the exact same problem with two differents devices connected to different things. Both network connections are working at 100mbps. so far i have been ignoring the problem, it seems to work . . .

emilio

If your using a router, check your ip schema. When I had this problem, it was due to one being set to DHCP and the other being set Static.

All limited or no connectivity means is that the NIC is plugged in but it cannot communicate with anything. Try unplugging the modem/router for a minute or so and then power it up again. It will detect and should assign the correct IP for connectivity.

If not try opening a command prompt and type ipconfig /release and hit enter. The up arrow and change it to ipconfig /renew and see if it gives you a good IP.

i tried both things but i still get the same thing. i will try static IPs, if nothing else just to isolate the problem as an IP issue.

You can't use a static IP unless you are behind a Router or for some reason you have a static IP from your ISP (business connection). Have you tried another NIC card?

First of all, if you have two NICS, you should only have on enabled at a time.

Secondly, how is your home network configured, and what model router are you using?

Back