• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

aac conversion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunar_Lamp

I want to convert aac to ogg. Why I converted all my cds to aac I shall never know, but anyway, I do not want to sit there and convert several hundred cds to ogg manually. I've done it once with aac, and I am willing to suffer some degredation of quality to not have to do that again.

I am looking for a FREE program that I can just select around 3000 files or so, and say "convert to ogg" and then come back (probably about 2days later :eh?:) and have a nicely organised output. I would also like to be able to preserve the ID tags.

This seems a fairly simple task, but I just cannot find a free program that allows large batch conversion. Several have claimed to do so, but require you to click "continue" after each track, or only allow batches of 5 unless you pay etc etc. I don't mind if it's shareware with a 30day licence or something, I only intend on using it once. This is driving me nuts.

why not convert to mp3 instead? it would be much more versatile. going from aac to ogg doesn't offer you much more freedom

Why ogg? Partly due to it's true open-sourcedom, partly it's superior general specifications, partly due to it's superior support in the Linux world. Mostly because I just feel like it.

If I can't get ogg sorted without much more hassle I'll just have to go with mp3 though.

Thanks for those suggestions threeme2189 - dbpoweramp didn't work for some reason. I can't remember offhand whether the program would not work when I installed it, or it wouldn't do batch conversion without paying.
From what I can glean from the web about CDex (it's site is down), it can only decode wav files, though it can convert to acc, ogg, and about a dozen others.

I'll check out quintissential and winamp plugins.

Back