• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AIM records.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNeonShadow

Registered
Is there a way to find old AIM converstions that were not achieved directly to my computer? I know that there is a way to find these old converstions.

I need them because i was threatened online, and i would like to pull the converstion back up. But it's not really something that needs to have the police involved in.

you need a program like DeadAIM or Trillian to log anything over AIM. it saves it directly to your computer. Deadaim saves right to My Documents.

Well if my conspiracy theory is right and the government is actually monitoring all of our internet traffic to find the mole in the CIA, you could just call up George and ask him for the logs!! :p

I can garentee you 100% it is somewhere. Because when people get in trouble they pull the logs. They being the police. I know for a fact they can do it because when this girl near here died, they pulled her aim records without going anywhere near her computer. so it rules out getting them from her computer.

kayson said:
Well if my conspiracy theory is right and the government is actually monitoring all of our internet traffic to find the mole in the CIA, you could just call up George and ask him for the logs!! :p

I think there is actually a thing where they have to release all non-classified documents mentioning you at your request.

My neice had AIM istalled on her laptop- also had 4 spyware references tied to AIM.

I removed AIM and the spyware was gone as well. I then installed Miranda IM, a freeware program that allows you to IM on AOL or Yahoo IM (others as well).

Not trying to threadjack here, I just detest all AOl software/jackware/spyware and thought I'd let you know what I did.

If you want to check out Miranda IM, you can get it here-

http://www.miranda-im.org/

TheNeonShadow said:
I can garentee you 100% it is somewhere. Because when people get in trouble they pull the logs. They being the police. I know for a fact they can do it because when this girl near here died, they pulled her aim records without going anywhere near her computer. so it rules out getting them from her computer.

AOL may have logged the conversation if they were using the AOL client. Or how do you know she didnt have dead aim installed? The aim client doesnt log conversations by itself unless you had dead aim, some other aim add in, or a keylogger installed on your pc you dont have the convo.

I believe AOL probably had logs on their servers and they were probably able to obtain copys of that because it pertained to a murder. But I don't believe AIM itself keeps logs on your hard drive unless you use a seperate program like deadAIM or trillian/GAIM or something like that.

Yeah you can't get them buddy, sorry, perhaps aol caches convos on their servers for a certain amount of time for security reasons, but like you said, they got them because she was dead, i'm sure there was some kind of court order to disclose the convos.

TheNeonShadow said:
yeah, back to what i asked in the first place, how do i view the logs they keep on their server. a cache is basicly a log.
I don't think it would be too easy. I think you'd have to contact AOL and request them. :shrug:

Back