• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A+ for Dell support? Say it aint so!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seven7Thirty30

I bought a Dell XPS M140 (laptop) for my wife as a Christmas present last year. Yesterday, my son (20 months old) ripped off a few of the keys and decided they served a better purpose as a teething soother. I called Dell Customer Support (shiver at the thought) around 5PM, and requested a replacement. When I came home from work today, it was sitting on my door step. Despite what I've heard and what I know of the company. They're on my good side and deserve a thumbs up. :thup:

Interesting, considering their rating on resellerratings.com: Dell

Good for you though!!

**WTF is up with the double posts??**

yeah and other times they "replace" the memory, and in reality its the same stick they moved to another slot. Right, Dell support is terrible.

If you deal with them on a daily basis then yopu will soon develop a slightly different opinion. However I must say their server support is top notch. glad you got treated right and had a good experience.

You work for Dell!!! LOL j/k

Good to hear it went well. When I had to have work done on my laptop I started by emailing them. Big mistake. The "techs" that respond to emails are retarded. Finally I demanded a phone number (I could not find the number to call anywhere, that's why I emailed them first), and the phone support was OK. The agreed right there that my screen needed to be replaced, and setup service for the next day. The tech that came out was a contractor, and was a great guy.

My one problem with the call, I asked to have the mobo replaced because the USB port was loose. They guy they sent did not fix it, and I forgot to call again before the warranty expired.

Based on the resellerratings alone, I won't buy anything more from them.

Then there's the PCs brought in for me to work on with a Dell logo affixed... and if you seen what I seen you wouldn't buy a dell either. :p

But Dell is indirectly cutting me 50% of my paycheck thanks to their mass produced crap disguised as a computer.

Seven7Thirty30 said:
I bought a Dell XPS M140 (laptop) for my wife as a Christmas present last year. Yesterday, my son (20 months old) ripped off a few of the keys and decided they served a better purpose as a teething soother. I called Dell Customer Support (shiver at the thought) around 5PM, and requested a replacement. When I came home from work today, it was sitting on my door step. Despite what I've heard and what I know of the company. They're on my good side and deserve a thumbs up. :thup:

Amazing.

Must have been a system gliitch.

Normally you would still be on hold in Bangalore.

I really must be pretty lucky. I bought the DELL 2405FPW about 6 months ago, and have never had a problem with it. It's a gorgeous screen. I've heard so many complaints about problems with that product from a pretty large victim base. I certainly don't work for Dell, and I'm still VERY reluctant to buy anything from them in the future. Hopefully if I do decide to give them my money, my luck will still be strong.

Thing is, if you look at the ratings in, say, consumer reports, Dell is still at the top of the PC heap though still well behind Apple. Says a lot about all of them I'd say.

Pinky said:
Based on the resellerratings alone, I won't buy anything more from them.
These resellerratings is a good indicator but I wouldn't say it will always be true. Remember, for everyone ten good experience, only a couple will post, but for ever ten bad experience, most will write about it.

Ask yourself this: For almost every good experience, have you posted something positive about the vendor? But for almost every bad experience, have you posted something bad about the vendor?

dawei213 said:
These resellerratings is a good indicator but I wouldn't say it will always be true. Remember, for everyone ten good experience, only a couple will post, but for ever ten bad experience, most will write about it.

Ask yourself this: For almost every good experience, have you posted something positive about the vendor? But for almost every bad experience, have you posted something bad about the vendor?

That's a good point. I've had a lot of great experiences with vendors and never bothered to leave feedback for them on any site. But when a vendor shortchains me, I'll be sure to let everyone know about it. I think there are a lot of people that feel the same way. You just have to test the water for yourself.

dawei213 said:

Read the complaints, and note the VOLUME of the them. It's not a series of 'they suxxors' posts. It's mostly Jane and John Doe Q Public with horror stories. Self centered, materialistic amerikans taking precious time from their prime time filled lives to warn others not to buy from Dell. That says A LOT to me. Seriously.

Pinky said:
Read the complaints, and note the VOLUME of the them. It's not a series of 'they suxxors' posts. It's mostly Jane and John Doe Q Public with horror stories. Self centered, materialistic amerikans taking precious time from their prime time filled lives to warn others not to buy from Dell. That says A LOT to me. Seriously.

Americans? :eh?:

Pinky said:

I've read plenty of them, and most appear to be written by people with little or no knowledge of electronics. Most people have the blind assumption that when they pay money for a PC from a company like Dell, the PC should ALWAYS work. They don't have the time, or understand that PCs require some form of frequent operator maintenance. Most install any programs websites say they need, plug in external devices constantly without properly installing the software or drivers, and do everything the Geek Squad tells them to do. When they have problems with their new PCs and they go through the frustrating process of getting a fix from Dell support in Bangladesh, they feel as though they've been horribly wronged. They're predictable response is to write hate messages on forums and review sites. I don't pay too much attention to them. I usually try the company for myself or listen to those that I trust.

Seven7Thirty30 said:
I've read plenty of them, and most appear to be written by people with little or no knowledge of electronics. Most people have the blind assumption that when they pay money for a PC from a company like Dell, the PC should ALWAYS work. They don't have the time, or understand that PCs require some form of frequent operator maintenance. Most install any programs websites say they need, plug in external devices constantly without properly installing the software or drivers, and do everything the Geek Squad tells them to do. When they have problems with their new PCs and they go through the frustrating process of getting a fix from Dell support in Bangladesh, they feel as though they've been horribly wronged. They're predictable response is to write hate messages on forums and review sites. I don't pay too much attention to them. I usually try the company for myself or listen to those that I trust.

You entirely missed my point.

The fact that these idiots take time from their lives to find and post on resellerratings says A LOT about how horrible their shopping/support experience was.

If not for sites like epinions and resellerratings there would be even more unhappy internet buyers.

I wish I could afford to buy from just any company (trial and lots of error), and I certainly don't know enough people who shop for everything I need everywhere I'd buy it to operate as you do.

dells a big company
with some of the lowest priced stuffs out there
ill buy from them

Back