• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody want to teach me Linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apesoccer

9. Can I transfer my operating system license from an old PC to a new one?
ANSWER. Not unless it was purchased as a Full-Packaged Product from a retail store (i.e., Windows in a box). Current OEM licenses for all Microsoft operating system products are not transferable from one machine to another. The End User License Agreement (EULA) governs the terms for transfer of licenses. Some EULAs for copies of certain older OEM operating system products (i.e., MS-DOS®, Windows® 3.1, and Windows for Workgroups 3.1) distributed in 1995 or earlier may permit transfer of the OEM operating system software license under limited circumstances. (See Software Product Transfer section of your End User License Agreement.)

10. If I “retire” a PC with an OEM license on it, can I use that software on a new PC?
ANSWER. No. To put it simply, OEM product is “married” to the original PC on which it was installed. Current OEM licenses are not transferable from one machine to another. The software cannot be moved from PC to PC, even if the original PC it was installed on is no longer in use. This is true for all OEM software – operating systems and applications.

11. Rather than purchase completely new PCs, my organization performs in-place upgrades to the hardware on many of our computers. We often times only replace the motherboard, processor, and memory. Since the COA is still on the case and the OS is still installed on the hard drive, this computer is still licensed, right?
ANSWER. Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your computer and maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer." Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from one computer to another. Therefore, if the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer has been created, the original license expires, and a new full operating system license (not upgrade) is required. This is true even if the computer is covered under Software Assurance or other Volume License programs.

Yea for Microsoft, now they can screw the little guy even more!

...http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/e/3/4e3eace0-4c6d-4123-9d0c-c80436181742/OSLicQA.doc

That is nothing new. OEM computers are the ones like Dell, HP, Sony, etc etc. Those copies of XP are licensced for that computer only. If you go out and buy XP, you are supposed to be able to install it over and over again, as long as its only on 1 computer that you are using at a time. IE, you are not supposed to take it home and put it on your computer, then install it on your brothers as well.

As for learning about Linux, since Linux itself is so varied you have to be specific in what distro, make a post in the Alt. OS. thread. We would be more then willing to help :)

heh. (edit: i'm fairly certain, in addition to what you've said, that the OEM XP software from newegg etc would be included; That said, it's typically a little more difficult to update motherboards on Dell-like computers, since alot of times [Dell] they have boards that were made specific to the case they go in). The copies of XP i have...One i purchased from the school for $10 or something, and the other was a box ms professional set, which came with chewing gum and MS baseball player cards lol for a special price...50+tax or somethin. And i'd imagine the school copy, in addition to being useless after being out of school, probably would be considered OEM as well. But i don't know for sure.

You can get oem xp home/pro (non-box) from newegg and several other places. I was thinking since oc'ing is about making the most of what you have with minimal expense (in most cases...). This was the right place to throw it up. =)

As to linux, i actually have several flavours (including Yellow Hat...), that was just an attention getter. =)

btw-ur from Tifton GA? Where is that? Seems like i should remember where that is, i used to live in Albany....or All-banny, depending on who's say'n it. heh.

Last edited:
Back