• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Pro install order?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DancingMonkey

Hey all!

I didn't see too much info on what order you should install your drivers and updates after you have installed windows. The way I currently install is:

1) The NIC Driver (mainly so I can grab updates from windowsupdate)
2) Windowsupdate post sp2 updates
3) Nvidia's latest chipset drivers direct from their site (I skip the NV firewall, IDE and sound)
4) Latest version of directx
5) Latest Video Drivers
6) Latest Sound Drivers
7) Latest Asus version of PC probe
8) Prime95

Can anyone add any hints at improving my build order or does it even matter in the long run? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Nice forums you got here by the way.

this is how i do it... (before i slipstreamed 90% of what i did)

Install WinXP

Install Mobo

Install Video/Sound

Install Antivirus of Choice

Install Networking/Modem

First thing BEFORE WinUpdates is get antivirus updated

Then I install AdAware and Spybot, update both, use spybot to block all known bad sites/stuff . I then run both and sometimes catch something already slipped in, sometimes it finds nothing(and usually dont' have to worry about using either again for 2-3 months).

Then I install Windows Service Packs First. Then critical updates, then Recommended updates.

Again... I bypass most of the updates and such just from setting up my own slipstreamed install, so i don't have to worry about most of the steps.

yeah with my slipstream install its

Install WinXP (slipstreamed with 99% of updates since its redone every update release)

Install Mobo/Chipset Drivers
Reboot
Install Video/Sound/NIC
Reboot
DO WINDOWS TWEAKS, PARTITIONING, DEFRAG
Reboot
Install AVG, Spybot, eWido, CrapCleaner, Adaware SE'
Reboot
Register, Update Windows, Update Previously Installed Anti whatever
Reboot

than im done..

Back