• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand names to avoid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ram, along with AMD's CPU's are the best bargain in PCing history. There's no point in buying "on thirds" Ram. "On thirds" means that Ram brand "X" buys second quality Samsung, Micron or other name-brand Ram chips, then solders them on Brand X's memory PCB's.

The board that the chips are soldered to is just as important as the chips themselves. In olden days, Memory-Man and Mushkin bought the chips, then soldered them on their own little PCB's. These DIMM's were quite good. But Joe Unknown's famous "broker quality"(BIG uugh!) 4 layer crud DIMM's were a waste of money.

Now that the best is so reasonably priced, why buy Joe Unknown's?

I recently had the pleasure of frying some Micron PC2100. As a temporary solution, I found the cheapest PC2100 in town, and stuck it in my computer. It had the same chips as the Micron, but a different PCB, it wouldn't even run prime 95 for 10 minutes, even at the default settings.

fs, ouch. I got the cheapest mem in town too (read my other thread in this board) NEC brand. It let me use 4/3rd fsb instead of the 100% fsb that my other 128 mb ram let me

Gravity Man said:
I recently had the pleasure of frying some Micron PC2100. As a temporary solution, I found the cheapest PC2100 in town, and stuck it in my computer. It had the same chips as the Micron, but a different PCB, it wouldn't even run prime 95 for 10 minutes, even at the default settings.

frying or trying?

Well, I've had Kingston PC100 CAS2 stuff, some RKByte stuff (from Best Buy) and a generic stick from a computer show. All was PC100 and all did at least 133 MHz at CAS3. So I guess my memory experiences have been overall, pretty good.

Since memory prices have come down, I have been buying nothing but Crucial. 256 MB of PC133 and 256 MB of PC2100. Top notch stuff, I haven't tested the limits of the PC2100 so much though. (It was only in my Shuttle box for 8 hours before the board died :( ) The PC133 runs 140 MHz FSB at all the agressive memory timings. It may go further, but I have never been one to push FSB so I haven't had the need to.

SickBoy

junk ram

i have had some very bad experiences with ram, the first stick of Sdram i ever had, 64mb pc100 by LD, that was in my K6-2 300 system running at 66mhz went bad in a half of a year, pitiful. So when it went bad i went out and bought some kind of fake micron stuff (micron chips but generic PCB), i thought it was genuine micron and so did the retailer, but i had no idea it was fake, neither did they. So i got 2 pc133 256mb sticks of it, now it worked fine in the K6-2 300 system with a Asus SP97-XV motherboard with a Sis 5597 chipset, but as soon as i got my abit Kt7 and Athlon 1200 i had a whole world of problems, i reinstalled windows, but i could not boot into windows, and when i did it was real flaky, so i called the retailer that sold it to me ( i work there). They said they were having simmilar problems with the Asus A7V. So i kept messing around with it with no luck. A week later we found what ram we were really getting. That moment we called Mushkin and bought a bunch of memory. We kind of had a recall on this fake memory, i traded in this fake micron for some mushkin and i am very happy with it, so are the customers. So the message is clear, dont buy cheesy ram, like fake micron and LD and all the others out there. As far as i know, you can only get real micron ram under the name crucial. Just buy quality brand like Mushkin, Crucial, Kingston and Corsair and all the other major brands. i have also heard of Infineon and Siemens ram working good, but i can't support that statement because i have never used Siemens or Infineon, I hope this helps anyone having trouble with ram

mmMMmm ram. i like ram. have a bunch of generic garbage in my old pc133 based rig. well before it fried, but the ram was good and ran at the fsb of the chip. lol but my board maxed out at like 108fsb soo.... hehe. the stuff wouldnt have oced much higher than 133 i dont hink, didnt do better than that in my friends comps... i have 512mb of crucial 2100 now. its nice stuff. know people w/ mushkin and corsair, both are also quality. definetly go w/ good brands now. $5 savings isnt worth crappy quality.

I use Micron PC133 in my SDRAM systems. When I started with a DDR board (AD11) I had to settle for PNY, I bought one of the first DDR boards out and didn't have much of a choice.

I have a stick of that PNY PC2100 128MBs on my new 8KHA+, right now. I'm running it at 222, 166bus, and scoring 960/1170 in Sandra memory benches. Crucial might offer a bit of improvement but this PNY is doing pretty well in my opinion.

My .02

Back