• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for imaging HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RocketChild

Registered
I am about to build a new box and I thought this time around, I would just make a bootable image on a DL DVD. Any thoughts on the best method for doing this? Is Ghost the only way to go?

I am tired of the time it takes to backup all my data, locate my media/keys, reinstall OS, Patch, install office, patch, BF2, patch, codecs, misc apps....then finally be able to use. It kills half a day.

When ya have a raptor that time can get cut dramatically ;) That was my first solve for long setup time after a fresh install of XP. But i too am wondering about the best way to do this since I have so much crap to install these days to get back to square one.

I have ghost 9, and am thinking about using that to create an image after I get everything installed.

Can anyone who has add experience post up some helpful hints at this process? Is it advisable to get everything installed (OS, drivers, games+patchs, apps+patchs) and THEN make an image? I have never done this before so looking for the best route.

I would put the image on a partition. Your restore will be much quicker. I've used Norton ghost a few times and have had mixed luck with it.

Acronis Image is pretty good and can get the job done. I love F11 hot key from Acronis Image to help me restore my computer to its original state.

norton ghost is also good. I like acronis image better

OCOC said:
Acronis Image is pretty good and can get the job done. I love F11 hot key from Acronis Image to help me restore my computer to its original state.

Another vote for Acronis. I use its server products in the field and have used the home product. I like the fact that you can image windows while its booted and if the image is located on a harddrive you can load the image as a harddrive and use it like a normal harddrive to pull files from. I'd hate to have to re-image a drive to recover 2 files :D

Plus version 9 of acronis lets you image directories as well as the entire HD.

setting us the protected storage to restore from is a great help as well.

I would create an image with just the OS and all available patches and programs you currently use and will most likely use in the future. The Chipset & Video drivers change too often to even bother imaging them. But, if you image just before you install it would be OK. I used Ghost to Image after I installed Windows, Windows Updates, winzip, Acrobat, MS Office and Norton Internet security.

OCOC said:

Yet another vote for Acronis. I love it!

I used to be a fan of Norton Ghost ( formerly powerquest driveImage). As far as i can see, acronis image is as fast and good as norton ghost. The only 2 products which I use from *norton* are pcanywhere and winfax. Other than that, i'm not a BIG FAN of Symantec.

I love acronis image.

I was a big fan of powerquest and used drive image all the time. The thing that brought Acronis to my attention is that it was the first one that imaged while windows was running.

Redduc900 Nice link. I've not heard of that one before. Gonan start playing with it.
thanks!

redduc900 said:
DriveImage XML
http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

... used as a plug-in (available here... (http://www.runtime.org/peb.htm) with Bart's PE Builder:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

... and it's freeware.
Dude, that is so awesome! I just downloaded it and imaged my C drive while on the machine, surfing :D Acronis does the same but the above is FREE and works on W2K3 server. Acronis server is like $800!!!!! The only bummer, perhaps an option I didn't select or unselect, was that it created about 9 archive files, not one file. Wow is all I can say!

*edit* The splitting of files was my fault... I left "Split Large Files" checked... I prefer to have one big image rather than multiple smaller ones.

orion25 said:
I would create an image with just the OS and all available patches and programs you currently use and will most likely use in the future. The Chipset & Video drivers change too often to even bother imaging them. But, if you image just before you install it would be OK. I used Ghost to Image after I installed Windows, Windows Updates, winzip, Acrobat, MS Office and Norton Internet security.

Is it really that bad to make an image with all the latest Nforce and Geforce drivers? Since they come out so often, it seems better to have the machine boot up working (NIC Driver), so you can go download the latest. Kinda the point.

What are your thoughts behind not having all there to start with, besides just being outdated?

RocketChild said:
Is it really that bad to make an image with all the latest Nforce and Geforce drivers? Since they come out so often, it seems better to have the machine boot up working (NIC Driver), so you can go download the latest. Kinda the point.

What are your thoughts behind not having all there to start with, besides just being outdated?

Unless it is an emergency, system died, reinstall you could always download the most current chipset and graphics before you reinstalled. To be honest this is something I had not considered. I have another comp available in addition to my main comp and both are never down at the same time (the other is a laptop). I suppose you could create 2 images. One clean XP install with updates and one with necessary drivers in addition to everything else to get you running.

Back