• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

explorer.exe wont start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ic3d

Disabled
So here is the store, yesterday I let someone use my PC when I was out for a bit, I assume "now" that they used IE 6.0 instead of firefox, and either got me a virus or some spyware and explorer.exe wont startup at all.

Not when I bootup or when I start it manually. I went to the housecall website and ran that scan, but once it was complete it never did give me and option to remove anything it found, all it found were problems related to windows "patches that needed to be applied".

So any help would be greatly appericated.

-Ic3d

Try running the System Restore tool from "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", which is accessible from the Advanced Options menu (in order to access the menu, press the F8 key just before Windows begins to load/directly after POST), and restore your system to a point prior to when the problem started. You'll need to log on as the administrator, or a user that has administrative rights. At the command prompt, type...

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe ...and then press ENTER.

...then just follow the instructions on the screen.

Do yuo have a norton anti-virus cd? Or mayeb so other anti-virus cd were you can boot from it? I know with Norton yuo can boot and scamn yuor system for viruses.

yeah doing a reinstall would work but becarful that it isn't a downloaded file that you still have. Because if you just reinstall and open that file it will just start all over again

Best bet might be doing a reinstall. This should overlay any corrupt files, while still retaining your current setup.

Sounds like a good idea, but it makes windows very slow afterwards, if I need it working properly that badon this system I'll just do a fresh install.

so it still isnt working, i can only use house call, is there any other ideas ?

Back