• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

repairing a corrupted registry

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splat

ASCII Moderator
so, i was bored today and thought i'd follow the amd64 overclocking guide in the cpu forums. I got my fsb up to 245mhz, and booted in to windows. Everything looked like it was going fine, but my screen kept blinking on and off, as if my video card was trying to change the settings, then the screen finally went black for good, and my system rebooted. when it got back to windows, a message box popped up saying:

System error: Lsass.exe
When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.[\quote]

so i found this: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545 and started following it. only thing is, i had turned "system restore" off for all drives, because i wanted to save disk space and i thought "who needs this?" well, obviously, i need it, and i'm kicking myself now.

So since I don't have any system restore point before now, I am sitting on what windows thinks is a fresh install, but luckily all of my files are still intact.

So my question is, does anyone know of a program I can use to repair the backup of my registry I made by following this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545 ??

thanks in advance

is there no way to "load" these in to a program, scan them for errors, and repair them?

I don't know how far along you got issuing commands at the Recovery Console, following the instructions in the MSKB article you linked to, but you could try the following nevertheless. Boot to the Recovery Console, and type the following commands hitting ENTER after each...

cd system32\config
ren system system.old
ren system.alt systemalt.old
copy c:\windows\repair\system
copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system
exit

If all else fails, you could also try a repair install...

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If all else fails, you could also try a repair install...
Indeed. If those steps don't work out repair installs tend to be relatively painless. They've saved me a couple of times.

I got thru part 1, so basically i made a backup of my old registr and replaced it with a brand new, fresh install registry.

part 1 -

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

so I still have a copy of my old registry, i just need to know if there is a program i can use to scan it and fix it...maybe in DOS mode, or maybe i can load it in in windows, then go back to the recovery console and copy it back in to the system32\config directory

Back