• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frys masking refurbs as new goods, or is it a just a mistake?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Folks,

I went with my buddy to get a stick of 1Gb PC52300 DDR2 (SODIMM) for his Crapple iMac. He got a gig of Mushkin PC2 5300. When we got home, I noticed that there was no sealing sticker on the plastic DRAM case and the Anti-static bag was cut open. He paid $100 for something that was not new?

It works fine (for now), but I'd like to know if this was a one off mistake or if it was part of a larger shady initiative?

He's cool with it because it works, but I don't like this one bit. I guess that's what happens to a sixpack. :p

Last edited:
It's happened to me before. I don't think it's 'intentional', though. They use a little sticker with some writing on it to designate that it's a refurb. Sticker gets torn off? No one's the wiser.

^^^ nub it's shaTTering... LOL!

Some of their deals are good, but most of their CPU/Mobo deals include an ECS mobo. When you walk past their return line you quickly drop anything ECS in your hand...

I don't have any problems with the ECS boards, or any of the other stuff they sell. as long as they don't try to hand me one of the 'stickered' ones, and they will try that first.

I have never gotten a stick of ram from them that was not opened. I think that for the most part, they get bulk packages, and put them into the bags themselves. I will look at the RAM first to see if there are any markings or dirt to indicate use. Some have scratches from the testing equipment at the manufacturers, but if I see anything that looks liike it may have been inserted a couple or more times in a computer, then I will have them get another one instead.

Back