• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hidden Folders In The Windows Folder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I came across these while I enabled show hidden files on my mates PC (see pic below) there the un-install folders I think to the security patches released by microsoft. He reckons that you can delete them as he read it in a mag once I also remember reading a article about deleting some folders the system doesn't need anymore.

But I don't think it wasn't these ones but more along the lines of folders beginning with {3265823658923658921} etc. Can he delete them I'm telling him not too as the WINDOWS folder is a major part that shouldn't be messed with.

The $NTUninstall folders are backups of files that were replaced by various hotfixes. They can be deleted, but you won't be able to uninstall those hotfixes after you've deleted the uninstall folders... and won't immediately free up any disk space (the backup files are protected by System Restore). Deleting the files/folders will trigger a System Restore point, and they'll eventually be flushed out as new restore points are created.

For an automated method of removing the XP Hotfix backups, see...

www.dougknox.com --> Win XP Utilities --> Remove Hotfix Backup Files. For more information on the $NTUninstall folders...

What are the $NTUninstall folders? Can they be deleted?
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Hotfix_backup.htm

The %systemroot%\$NtServicePackUninstall$ Folder
IMPORTANT: Do not delete this folder unless you are sure that you will not want to remove Windows XP SP1 in the future.

When you install the service pack and choose to archive the files you need to remove the service pack, Windows automatically creates a backup. This is a backup of the files and settings that the service pack installer changes, and which are saved in the %systemroot%\$NTServicepackUninstall$ folder. You can use the contents of this folder to return your computer to its previous state. If you delete this folder, you cannot remove the service pack. If you are sure that you will not want to remove the service pack, you can safely delete this folder. If you delete the %systemroot%\$NtServicePackUninstall$ folder, the option to remove the service pack still appears in the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.
The above quote is taken from the following MSKB article...

How to Remove Windows XP Service Pack 1 Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329260 ...and which also applies to SP2.

Last edited:
Well it's his system I've sent him your post via e-mail if he does it he does it I reckon it was to free up space. He like me doesn't have system restore enabled I don't see the point if anything goes wrong I back-up everything and format.

I on the other hand will be leaving the files alone I don't mess with files in the WINDOWS folder even if they can be deleted. I have 71.4gb of HDD space free I don't play games much my 6200 is a temp upgrade from a crappy FX5200 cause it didn't support full DX9 features.

Back