• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista Beta 2 (anyone play with it yet?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Heya guys just curious if anyone got a chance to play with it yet? I'm hoping to get the disk tomorrow since my dad doesn't want to even mess up his systems with it. Hehe don't blame him though.

Anyways just wanted to know if anyone had any experiance with how it was or what not. Looking forward to the new interface and such and guess see how much more bloated it is compared to XP out of the box.

Im still waiting to see if i can get a beta period lol. When do you think a public beta will be out?

Reading through the Vista NG, it appears as though the April CTP will be targeted as a consumer release, which should be available to the public for testing.

How can I get it. I have a comp that I am looking for an OS for. This would be perfect.

Sir. BOBSONATOR said:
yea, build 5270 i had.

It was awsome.

My favorite feature was the transperancy and the flip 3d feature.

Hope you enjoy it.

It "was" awesome? Then I'm assuming you took it off your system? Still not stable enough to be your day to day OS?

Build is feature complete or so they claim, until we find something they cant fix!!

Overall, its seems pretty good, driver support lacking, and I feel is the performance issue.

For a beta release targeting corporate, they should of rerefreshed the server side, so we could see the features we could be getting, as for now, no reason to upgrade in corp world, move along, nothing to see here.

Once MS includes Office with the OS, 50 percent of the people wont need anything else!!!!!!

orion25 said:
How can I get it. I have a comp that I am looking for an OS for. This would be perfect.

You need to be a Microsoft Beta tester to get a copy of Vista legally. Discussion of any other method is not allowed here.

Well just finished installing it :)

What I can say.. bloated right off the bat, at least this version. 10gigs of HDD space, its quick at loading at least. Uses loads of ram and has lots of services running (with IE open and task manager using 48 processes with 915megs of ram. Got to say though down in the toolbar holding the cursour over the window shows a cool mini version of that application thats active. Watching this window currently when typing and its instant :)

Got to say though, didn't install any drivers, got internet, videocard all up and running. Thats nice that I didn't have to load any stupid drivers during install since you had to use a stupid floppy it seemed all the time.

will do in 1 second just got a screenshot showing some of the features and new stuff :) jsut got to make it smaller to fit on the site

Well heres one I just made not to long ago. Shows off some of Aero's features, what the new interface sort of looks like, how bloated windows can be with just a few windows open. A nice resources tracking system, oh and well as Rattle put it "PIP". Down on the bottom toolbar the System button. That little green/white window is actually a real time preview of it. I was typing my 2nd post above in that window just for fun and the IE window was minimized at the time.

Anyways here it is, anyother requests I can post more images.

BTW I found a few systems that can be disabled to get rid of roughly 300megs of usage of ram. But you eliminate Aero, A windows search engine feature (havn't tried it yet that I know of at least), and a Fetching system that speeds up windows over time.

Last edited:
i ran vista 5308 for a couple days. Its ok i guess. Personaly for me though 5270 was a much nicer build. Though it lacked the sidebar (which i dont really care about anyways) it was much faster in every respect and it was much less demanding on RAM.

Also w/ 5308 they seem to have made a change for the worse w/ flip3d. It is a little quicker now but the quality of the windows look like complete **** now. Of course that will all be changed soo enough i guess.

One thing i really did like though was the aurora teaser when you finish the install.....oh it looks nice....

ludeboy12 said:
i ran vista 5308 for a couple days. Its ok i guess. Personaly for me though 5270 was a much nicer build. Though it lacked the sidebar (which i dont really care about anyways) it was much faster in every respect and it was much less demanding on RAM.

Also w/ 5308 they seem to have made a change for the worse w/ flip3d. It is a little quicker now but the quality of the windows look like complete **** now. Of course that will all be changed soo enough i guess.

One thing i really did like though was the aurora teaser when you finish the install.....oh it looks nice....

Never tried the 5270 build. Hey how do you get to flip3d anyways? That aurora teaser was great though, but I was like, damn is it doing anything or did it crash lol but I just kept watching it hehe.

Hey did you also notice any sort of lagging with 5308? Like it would freeze for a bit then work perfectly again?

Dang...

116 megs for Internet Explorer
55 megs for MS Paint???

holy memory hog batman!

dawei213 said:
Dang...

116 megs for Internet Explorer
55 megs for MS Paint???

holy memory hog batman!

LOL you don't want to know what IE is at currently then. 223megs

Thank god I got 2gigs of ram.

Flamed_Chip said:
You need to be a Microsoft Beta tester to get a copy of Vista legally. Discussion of any other method is not allowed here.

It's available through MSDN - glad I looked, I can't believe that there's a code advisor for VB6 - probably advice to upgrade:
-------------------------------------------------------------
New in Subscriber Downloads

Windows Vista CTP - February 2006 - Build 5308 (32-bit) (English)
Windows Vista CTP - February 2006 - Build 5308 (64-bit) (English)
Connected Services Framework 2.5 Developer Edition
FRx 6.7 for Small Business Financials 9.0 and Small Business Financials 8.0
.NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (Multiple Languages)
DirectX SDK (February 2006) (English)
Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar Beta 2 (English)
Visual Basic 6.0 Code Advisor (Multiple Languages)
Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2006 Enterprise Edition Beta (English)
Small Business Financials 9.0 (English)

Back