• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a good free firewall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeaponX6X

I'm looking for a good free firewall...any ideas? Or should I just stick with Norton that I can get for free through my University?

wasnt Zonealarm the one reporting info back to their company illegally - not sure i would be going with zonealarm

Mr.Guvernment said:
wasnt Zonealarm the one reporting info back to their company illegally - not sure i would be going with zonealarm

yep, thats the one, supposed za fixed the problem/issue, they said there was nothing malicious about it dialing out but due to peoples concerns they removed that function/patched or whatever technical jargon they used.

Oric said:
Try a smoothie!

Go here to get the latest version of Smoothwall.

Oh and did I mention it's FREE!!!!!! :cool:

Looks like someone beat me to the punch. This is a bit more involved then just installing software on your current os, but well worth the time.

You would need to build/acquire a box. An old Pentium 233 or K-6 would be more than sufficient. 3 or 4 gig hard drive and 256 megs of ram. Smoothwall is a Linux based Distro, stand alone os that filters all tcp/ip traffic when configured properly. It uses a web based Management GUI, so after initial installation, you can put the box in a dark corner with nothing attached to it except a power cord and cat cables.

Setup and configuration is very easy, and there is a good set of manuals that you can dowload with the software. Setup properly, the FBI would have a difficult time getting into your system.

I have forgotten already if a link was provided so here it is.
Smoothwall
Read up, and there is a great forum for tech questions.

Best of Luck.

i use sygate as well, but i have router and still use sygate, lets me know when oh hey look i have spyware to..

Back