• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is system volume information safe to delete?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kyozoku

Registered
Would it be safe to delete the folders in this directory?

Unwanted software keeps reinstalling itself into it and freezing my comp.

No. I'm not sure what it is for, I think it is System Restore. But I do not recommend deleting it. Spyware will end up there due to System Restore, so if you are having trouble with spyware being detected in there, clear out your System Restore by disabling it and then reenabling it.

Like bchur83 noted, the XP System Volume Information directory (contained on each drive) contains the "System Restore" points that have been created, as they relate to that drive. Besides disabling System Restore, you could also remove all but the most recent restore point (Start | Run | Type cleanmgr, and click OK | 'Options' tab | 'System Restore --> Clean up' button) on each partition or drive.

AFA the System Volume Information directory in W2K, it's used by the Encrypting File System (EFS), including the partition table information ((the hidden NT filesystem structure.))

What is you have merged to partitions together, and have an unwanted seperate folder with a System Volume Information directory in it?
Can it be removed in that case?

Back