• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Host clock and by speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ymNA

In my bios, there are 2 options for the mem speed, 'by speed' (default mem speed i think) and 'host clock' (fsb speed x 2)

Sandra mem bench reported the same score for both of the options. what's wrong, maybe my fsb is too high so the board automatically reset to 'by speed'?

"By SPD" means that the memory runs at the MFR's SPD rating, which tells the mobo what MHz and CAS latency it can run at, and runs it at the max.

The "Host Clock" setting runs the memory at your FSB. (so if you have a Athlon "C" chip, that's 133 MHz).

SickBoy

so 'host clock' doesn't mean that it run at the actual fsb (154) but it run at the default fsb of the cpu (ie: 200mhz or 266mhz)?

Would you like a lot of information on how everything in the BIOS works & more? They cover everything plus stuff you never wanted to know:D

sonny said:
Would you like a lot of information on how everything in the BIOS works & more? They cover everything plus stuff you never wanted to know:D

Got a new Mobo coming in a couple of days, this link will come in very handy. Thanks Sonny:)

hostclk

The only way to get more than the fsb from memory is the hostclock + pciclock function, which is refered to by different names but they all work the same. It adds the fsb + pci like this:
100fsb + 33pci =133MHz dram timing
it also works with overclocking too like this:
112fsb + 37pci = 149Mhz

On my mobo vp6 it works great with the 1/3 divider but not at all with the 1/4 divider. The other problem is I have to revert to cas3 to use hostclk+pciclk as my tiny bga only runs cas2 upto 140fsb. So memory scores are actually lower using it

I suggest not to use the "By spd" option... I've yet to see a DIMM with good SPD settings... They're usually very conservative, but that's understandable.

The el-cheapo noname DIMMs seem to have faulty settings, eg. missing parameters for certain speeds.

Back