• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clear Your Old Restore Points! I saved 7GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Well, I know most people know to do this, but don't forget to delete the old Restore Points every so often guys! I just recovered 7GB from doing so...ridiculous.

Personally I also disable systems restore, it never worked for me even when I had it enabled and supposedly working right

I once installed new Nvidia drivers on my Asus board and absolutely messed up the IDE so badly that I couldn't get an optical drive to work using DMA. I uninstalled, reinstalled, got new drivers, got old drivers. For two days I kept trying different things, read everything I could find, decided to kick the thing out the window. Then I tried going back to a restore point from before I installed the drivers. Perfect. I couldn't believe it.

That said, my friends asked me to come over one day because of messages that their drive was filled. This was like a 30 gig drive and they didn't do any video or audio or anything. I mean, they couldn't have had more than 10 gigs on the whole drive, but it sure was filled up somewhere. Yup, I turned off system restore, deleted all the restore point crap, and freed up over 20gb.

Apparently there was some weird situation caused by them upgrading from 98 or something because most of the restore points were all around the same time. Very strange.

Instead of totally disabling it, why not just adjust the 'Disk space usage' to a smaller size? The default 'Disk space to use' is set to 12%... just adjust it down to say 2 or 3%, then you won't have to worry about deleting old restore points to gain additional space.

How to Keep System Restore Healthy in Windows XP
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

Last edited:
I also reduce the % it uses, and turn it off on everything other than my C drive. I've had it work once or twice, had it fail more often than that... One more resource to try when my lovely wife pushes the wrong button!! :)

Back