• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to SP2, computer now screwed!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

icedragn

yea, upgraded my friends windows xp pro, to service pack 2, it now crashes after about 10+ seconds of running with errors about sysaudio.sys, disabling windows audio fixes that, but that is not acceptable, he needs his audio :|, so i did a full format and re-install of the sp1 xp pro, SAME THING!! what is going on ??? we never touched anything in his bios! we formatted 3 times now, same thing, everytime. We never opened the computer either, now, mind you it has a peice of crap biostar mobo... i will look for bios updates maybe? do you think the mobo is screwed or what?

download the lastest audio drivers for the motherboard and see if that clears up the problem.

I think your best bet is to back up important things, reinstall xp and install SP2 before anything else, then restore your files. :/

thefly said:
download the lastest audio drivers for the motherboard and see if that clears up the problem.

I'll try that, keeping audio disabled.

Captain Newbie said:
Eh, what can we say, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

A BIOS or hardware problem is almost certainly indicited here, since the problems persist following format. :(

Will try new bios, if they are any, otherwise i need to find a new mobo... wait i just had an idea, disable (if there is an option) the onboard sound in the bios, then re-enable windows audio and see if it persists, otherwise i have little choice but to buy a new motherboard and see if that solves it.

I think your best bet is to back up important things, reinstall xp and install SP2 before anything else, then restore your files. :/

i told you, it's like 3 times now, the first time it messed up was with sp2, these last 3 installs are just regular off the cd SP1, and not sp2, so it's retarded.

Could be that the soundcard just happen to fail at the time you installed SP2. If it's onboard which it sounds like. Try disabling it and putting in a PCI soundcard. Would most likely be cheaper then buying new motherboard for him. That is of course if the problem is the onboard soundcard.
Otherwise if you have any extra soundcards lying around (God know's I've got a number of old ones from rebuilds) throw it in and disable the onboard to see if it fixes it. This will atleast tell you if the onboard soundcard is the problem.

After I installed SP2 I was still using the BIOS revision that came with my motherboard. I read loads of help forums on updating my BIOS and it seems to risky but in the end I took deep breath updated it to the latest version for my CPU. I installed SP2 after a format and it works no problems before I was getting no sound, CD-ROM wasn't showing modem vanished too.

But it seems the BIOS may have fixed that so try that as well as a sound card might help. That reminds me I need to order a sound card for my PC feel like a change from onboard sound 7.1 here I come :attn:

Back