• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista Boot menu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crofty83

I recently installed Vista but now only want to use XP. I installed it on a seperate partition to my XP system but now i want to delete it. I can't find the file for the boot menu. I know boot.ini but its not in there. Any ideas??

crofty83 said:
I can't find the file for the boot menu. I know boot.ini but its not in there. Any ideas??
Are you saying the Windows Vista entry is missing from the Boot.ini, or that you can't find the Boot.ini file to edit it?

If you're running build 5253 or later, the Boot.ini isn't used, but instead replaced by BCDEdit.exe. It's run from the command line, and replaces the Bootcfg tool that's used in XP... and I believe you need elevated priveleges in order to run it (Start | All Programs | Accessories | Right click Command Prompt and select Run Elevated). Open the command prompt , and type bcdedit /? for a list of available switches you can use with the tool. I don't think you need to specify a switch with the bcdedit command in order to display the entries that appear in the boot menu... you may need to though in order to edit it, in addition possibly adding an identifier after the switch.

Last edited:
I think bcedit is the tool, hence deleting will not remove the boot screen. I had this problem before and to fix it I deleted the folder on the root called boot and a few otehr files. There is also an entry in the boot.ini file on XP provided you installed vista after Xp. I would reccomend using reduc's method and not jsut deleting folders. I I forgot what the files were that I deleted but I remember opening them to see their contents and luckily deleting them cause no ill effects and removed the Longhorn boot screen, as said before though Reducc's method is the correct method

Back