• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Full version

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stoner51

Has anybody ordered this from edirectsoftware.com. They have the full version for 163.99. For Pro. Just curious seemed quite a bit lower than everybody else.

I never ordered from there, but I got a new/unused retail copy of XP pro from ebay for $130 a few months ago. You just have to keep your eyes open.

Yes I also read some negative reviews. I am interested in the full retail version because I plan to upgrade soon and do not wat to purchase another oem disk when I do.

If you can wait keep your eyes peeled and look around ebay. When I bought my copy the guy had about 3 or 4 other copies he was selling. The deals are there you just have to be patient and careful. If you cannot wait then just buy it from the cheapest legit retailer (newegg, mwave, zzf, etc).

I bought the retail copy because I was tired of the EULA run around and i wanted a copy I could use on ANY (single) pc I wanted. I think vista is going to be too full of DRM and crap to purchase so I didn't mind buying XP months before the release of a new OS.

*EDIT*
The ebay guy's name is bsgconsult. He doesn't have any auctions right now, but maybe he will or you can contact him and he may have a copy he is willing to part with.

Alchemy1 said:
I bought the retail copy because I was tired of the EULA run around and i wanted a copy I could use on ANY (single) pc I wanted. I think vista is going to be too full of DRM and crap to purchase so I didn't mind buying XP months before the release of a new OS.

Good thinking. It's likely that Vista will end up being a big waste of time for most people. Vista = Better GUI and... well, XP features strangled by DRM and other intentional handicaps. If you like control over your media files/collection, stick with XP. With 64 bit support now available there's no reason to be worried XP is going anywhere anytime soon.

If you are in college check wiht your school as you can pick up a cheap legit copy for cheap (mine was $10).

Off topic, but since you guys are talking about it..

Is it worth upgrading to the 64bit XP?! Its for my main rig (sig, gaming rig). What is the point anyway? will it be faster cuz my cpu is 64 bit? are drivers available? does it really have an effect on third party software at all, or just internal winxp workings?

Trypt said:
Off topic, but since you guys are talking about it..

Is it worth upgrading to the 64bit XP?! Its for my main rig (sig, gaming rig). What is the point anyway? will it be faster cuz my cpu is 64 bit? are drivers available? does it really have an effect on third party software at all, or just internal winxp workings?
Check out Sucka's Sticky at the top of the page...

Windows XP Pro x64 Edition Resource Guide/FAQ
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=406695&highlight=x64

Back