• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OEM XP - quick question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beakman

Registered
Would installing XP with a OEM disc and activating it with a retail product key be the same as installing it with the retail disc and using that same product key?

If your OEM product key isnt working... in the activation window you can change your product key and get a new Installation ID that should work with the automated phone, correct? (and have the same thing after d/ling SP2?)

1. Retail Product Keys only work with retail XP CDs.
2. OEM Product Keys only work with generic OEM XP CDs.
3. Volume License Product Keys only work with Volume License CDs.
4. The Product Key that comes with a new PC will only work with the original computer manufacturer's reinstallation or restore CD.
5. Product Keys for one language version of XP will not work with a different language version XP installation CD.

redduc900 said:
2. OEM Product Keys only work with generic OEM XP CDs.
4. The Product Key that comes with a new PC will only work with the original computer manufacturer's reinstallation or restore CD.

Mostly correct. All OEM XP Home installation cds will work with product keys found on OEM PCs (hence the OEM qualifier).

The only problem comes up in automated/online activation. Say your older computer was PRE-sp2, but your OEM installation cd is a sp2 version, then when you try to activate online it will know your older pre-sp2 product key for the PC will have been generated before sp2 existed. It will require you to enter a new key or call. A simple call to activate solves the issue, and usually they just ask for the make/model to update their records.

I do a few of these a day as part of my job. M$ isn't terribly strict about product activation aside from keeping folks honest.

5. Product Keys for one language version of XP will not work with a different language version XP installation CD.

I in fact installed on a business comp XPPRO retail in english with a french key, worked A1 (From Quebec...)

Back